Chocolate Cichlid Basics

Natimus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2013
Montana
Hi folks, I'm new on here so please forgive any ignorance. Previously I've kept discus and I'm looking to make a change. I'm looking at Hypselecara Temporalis. Do I have any surprises in store for me in keeping these fish, or are their requirements pretty standard? I've got a lightly planted 150 gallon tank setup with a 40 gallon refugium/sump and continuous drip system (roughly 150 gallons per day). I typically do an additional 50 gallon water change 2-3 times a week. Temperature is kept at around 82 degrees F. I feed beefheart, frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, and some pellets. The occasional red wiggler also finds it's way into the tank.

devder1

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2008
arizona
Your setup sounds great, mine loved everything from peas to shrimp, and they grow quickly. The only problem that I ever had was that after my severum passed away, my chocolate seemed lonely with just some sd's. awesome fish though you won't regret getting them

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
If you are doing well with Discus, the water has to be neutral or on the soft side, the water quality has to be near pristine, and the temperture has to be on the warmer lower 80s. Chocolate is not as sensitive to water chemistry or water quality as Discus, and doesn't require very warm water. Overall, chocolate are much easier to keep than Discus as long as the water is not too hard.

I am not sure how hard your water is. I tend to think that Montana and Arizona have ery hard water from deep wells so it is suitable to keep hard water cichlids like African and CA, not Amazon basin SAs.

BassetsForBrown

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2012
Boston
Sorry to make an off-topic note, but id never heard of Chocolate Cichlids before reading this. Google pics are beautiful though. Just read someone's characterization of them as "basically a less voracious Oscar" lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
welcome to the forums.i just recently started with a group of 5 chocolates,you will like them.they are easy-going,but will defend themselves.colors change with mood.your set-up sounds perfect for them.maybe add some more driftwood.but i think the plants might end up as food,or at least dug up by fish.here is pics of my 90

IMG_2446.JPG

uploadfromtaptalk1374374003607.jpg

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
Sorry to make an off-topic note, but id never heard of Chocolate Cichlids before reading this. Google pics are beautiful though. Just read someone's characterization of them as "basically a less voracious Oscar" lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
True. Juvenile chocolate do look like oscar with their body shape, color and posture. Their widespread distrubtion in the Amazon river basin and water reqirements also mirrow oscar. But they don't grow as big, don't eat like a pig, and more timid than oscar. Old chocolate develops a big, steep forehead. Old oscar retains the juvenile small head and big eyes. It's hard to find any old oscar not affected by HITH desease. I don't know if chocolote is suceptible to HITH as I don't own one long enough to know.

Natimus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2013
Montana
Hard water isn't a problem. My city loves to run chemicals through the water, so I went to straight RO a year ago. My hardness is really low, roughly 25 TDS. PH is around 6.2.

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
Hard water isn't a problem. My city loves to run chemicals through the water, so I went to straight RO a year ago. My hardness is really low, roughly 25 TDS. PH is around 6.2.
You are telling me that hard water is the problem, and that's why you went straight to RO water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store