cichilds that eat huge prey

candidpets

Candiru
MFK Member
May 24, 2015
Brampton
www.facebook.com
problem with fish like peacock bass is fish over 1 foot are hard to keep for the normal person who has maybe 150 gallons max. I understand a lot of people here must havae over 300 gallons and can keep these fish like tiger fish, peacock bas, dovii, and other giants but for most its just not possible i could be wrong though lol BUt fish like that are stuff I would think most pple in the hobby would not be able to keep. Shocking tho there are hundreds of fish that get up to two feet always sold at the LFS.

candidpets

Candiru
MFK Member
May 24, 2015
Brampton
www.facebook.com
i should have put cichilds around 1 foot and under

a person here had their sengal birchir eat a peacock bass larger than itself? I was shocked dont know how thats possible i have a sengal for years they only got like 10 inches?

candidpets

Candiru
MFK Member
May 24, 2015
Brampton
www.facebook.com
i thought i read once someone here said their oscar ate a knife fish that was longer tha it was?? LOL i dont know how that is possible either like the other poster said i thought 4 inches would be the max an adult could eat? Unless it was a eel or rope fish or another long fish. I just think its crazy how some are fine for years then one day decide to gobble up their tank mate. THere was an oscar that ate a arawana that was almost as long as he was?

raubiy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2015
♛ Slovenija ♛
Peacockbass have huge mauth.
Amazing what he can fit inside mouth....
But those fish grow big. They need large tank. Around 500g is tank for few adults.
Under 300g is joke for those adult species.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
agree with candidpets, splendid petenia
These bay snooks do have a long mouth, but they're specialized to inhaling small fishes in, not built for tackling larger prey.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
i thought i read once someone here said their oscar ate a knife fish that was longer tha it was?? LOL i dont know how that is possible either like the other poster said i thought 4 inches would be the max an adult could eat? Unless it was a eel or rope fish or another long fish. I just think its crazy how some are fine for years then one day decide to gobble up their tank mate. THere was an oscar that ate a arawana that was almost as long as he was?
Slender bodied fishes are easily to swallow...

candidpets

Candiru
MFK Member
May 24, 2015
Brampton
www.facebook.com
what else is there? yeah a 500 gallon tank i never even got to see out side of an LFS the monster cichilds are just too big. I see peacock bass at the LFS all the time tho along with goliath tiger fish, wolf fish, dovii, RTC, but they just are not practical to buy. Even oscars and devils at only 1 foot are hard enough to manage in a 100 gallon with other fish.

Thats why i am on the look out for small but predatory, like hajua gars, red tail baracuda, ID love a florida gar again but 150 i dont think is big enough dispite what the LFS says. They are my fave gar.

ALagator gar is just stupid unless you have a swimming pool size indoor pond but they are sold so fast at LFS.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store