Cichlid Paludarium

Narwhal

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2017
I was interested if their are reptiles or amphibians, especially from Africa or Madagascar, that can be housed alongside African cichlids in a terrestrial section. I know I have seen OB peacocks kept with large crocodiles at zoos (clearly not something that can be replicated at home) This is really only for reference as I don't have the space for such an arrangement. I have seen pictures of Panther Chameleons alongside discus, and I think at the shed aquarium they are in a riparium set up, they of course are at risk of drowning. How about an iguana or water dragon that like the water (although they may try to eat the fish, and their ammonia output would mean we are talking about a couple 100 gallon tank) Amphibians would have to be tree frogs or some other terrestrial species like mantellas or a toad.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
it typically doesn't work out - it's best to give them their own enclosures. There are too many risks, the main one being cross-contamination and pathogens. I have seen people do these set-up and the success rate is very low as well as tried several myself and I will not attempt it again. I have 30 years in BOTH hobbies fish and reptiles/amphibians and the general consensus is most professionals agree keep fish with fish and reptiles housed separate.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/dwarf-caiman-tankmates.661585/

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
I wonder if you could construct some type of clear divider for the land and water parts? Might be cool if done right so the reptiles can't drown.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Have you considered vampire crabs for your land section?Not from Africa I know but are attractive land dwellers that won't eat plants.

Narwhal

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2017
They are pretty small so would do better off in a Rainbow fish paludarium. I have seen many of these reptile/fish paludariums in Public Aquariums and Zoos, but they have several hundred gallons of water and probably a really strong filter.
Mixes I have seen at such places
African Slender Snouted Crocs with African Cichlids
Plumed Basilisk with Tetras
Green Anaconda with Red Bellied Piranha
Fly River Turtle with Rainbows
Caiman Lizard with mixed medium south American fish (like saber tooth tetras, large plecos)
Cayman Blue Iguana with Saltwater fish
Panther Chameleons with Smaller fish like Madagascar Rainbows
Birds with Fish
I have seen beavers kept with the endangered fish of the Colorado river.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
They are pretty small so would do better off in a Rainbow fish paludarium. I have seen many of these reptile/fish paludariums in Public Aquariums and Zoos, but they have several hundred gallons of water and probably a really strong filter.
Mixes I have seen at such places
African Slender Snouted Crocs with African Cichlids
Plumed Basilisk with Tetras
Green Anaconda with Red Bellied Piranha
Fly River Turtle with Rainbows
Caiman Lizard with mixed medium south American fish (like saber tooth tetras, large plecos)
Cayman Blue Iguana with Saltwater fish
Panther Chameleons with Smaller fish like Madagascar Rainbows
Birds with Fish
I have seen beavers kept with the endangered fish of the Colorado river.
lol do you own a zoo?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Andy, that tank in your basement with the terrestrial plants would be perfect for tiny dart frogs, (a 50 gal if I remember right) and maybe some of the Panamanian kills that live in tiny spots of water, or under bark of trees in the dry season.
The frogs here only seem to come to water to breed, living most of the time within damp leaves, or only venture out when it rains, or early morning when the ground is wet.
The one in my pics is only about the size of a thumbnailfullsizeoutput_1a3.jpeg .
fullsizeoutput_1a9.jpeg

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Narwhal

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2017
lol do you own a zoo?
If only...
But for each we are talking about probably hundreds to thousands of gallons for display, and who knows what is behind for filtration. These are not something most private collectors could afford or let alone have enough space to keep. Again I am only interested in this for reference.
From this discussion I can probably say, "Just because I have seen 3-4 species of Dart Frogs in a 4x9 ft terrarium doesn't mean I can do the same thing in a 40 gallon. Or just because I have seen a 1000 gallon tank with an anaconda and a small school of piranha, doesn't mean I can mix smaller snakes with smaller fish in a 180 gallon tank, sure one can try but it has a high chance of failure not something you want to do when hundreds or thousands of dollars are involved."

Last edited:

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Andy, that tank in your basement with the terrestrial plants would be perfect for tiny dart frogs, (a 50 gal if I remember right) and maybe some of the Panamanian kills that live in tiny spots of water, or under bark of trees in the dry season.
The frogs here only seem to come to water to breed, living most of the time within damp leaves, or only venture out when it rains, or early morning when the ground is wet.
The one in my pics is only about the size of a thumbnailView attachment 1226951 .
View attachment 1226950
how do we know the fish won't affected by the toxins in the frog's skin?.........assuming they are wild-caught, of course

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store