Cichlid Paludarium

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Might be a problem if the fish try to eat the frogs.
Here the only true enemy of of the dart frogs are spiders, nothing else even toys to bother them.
...but the poison leaching into the water.....you don't see that as an issue?

I would expect it would be absorbed through mucous membranes, especially areas rich in blood vessels like the gills

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The frogs here, seldom enter water, except to breed, they sometimes carry tadpoles on their backs. They are not at all like common swamp type semi-aquatic frogs of the US.

Narwhal

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2017
I have heard they move the tadpoles from the bromeliads to the water once they get bigger, not sure if it is true.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
If u want a awesome tank with land and water u can do the following:a large northern(banded)watersnake,guppies,missippi grass shrimp,bamboo shrimp,blue neon gobies and cricket frogs.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
If u want a awesome tank with land and water u can do the following:a large northern(banded)watersnake,guppies,missippi grass shrimp,bamboo shrimp,blue neon gobies and cricket frogs.
and what's stopping the snake from eating the frogs and fish.........in other words, their main diet????

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I have heard they move the tadpoles from the bromeliads to the water once they get bigger, not sure if it is true.
the Bromeliads collect water in their center, the eggs are laid then the tadpoles climb onto the parents back when they are big enough. The remaining 2-4 tadpoles that survive do so by eating their siblings in the meantime

Narwhal

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2017
and what's stopping the snake from eating the frogs and fish.........in other words, their main diet????
Science!! Maybe a well fed snake and cheap tankmates
I remember a reptiles magazine article that had a single green tree python with dart frogs and day geckos, it must be catalogued somewhere. They also had a multi-species caldarium set up many years ago with some relatively cheap creatures.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Science!! Maybe a well fed snake and cheap tankmates
I remember a reptiles magazine article that had a single green tree python with dart frogs and day geckos, it must be catalogued somewhere. They also had a multi-species caldarium set up many years ago with some relatively cheap creatures.
yes, awesome, 3 animals from completely different continents that would normally share a biotope in the wild. Genius if you ask me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store