Clay cave DIY?

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
Epoxy resin isn't ever cheap, that's for sure. If you don't need much, some companies do have smaller kits, like Ecopoxy. I'll probably be ordering from them soon, as this is one of the only companies that I know of which have a UV Resistant Epoxy.

If you have a tight budget, you might want to try a polyurethane clear coat like Krylon Clear Polyurethan. I've never used it for sealing concrete though, so I don't how well it will hold up long-term.

Psylant

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Canada
I think after much deliberation, I will not seal the project at all and put the funds I would spend on the sealant towards more Quikcrete dye colors to give the cave a more natural look. I think I would rather let the cave sit in water for a month and change out the water every couple days than spend $100+ on something that may be just as dangerous to the fish. That Ecopoxy stuff is water/soap soluble. Call me paranoid but that sounds bad?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
That looks like a big dinosaur turd, what the hell are you building, Spencer? lol

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
That Ecopoxy stuff is water/soap soluble. Call me paranoid but that sounds bad?
Where did you read/see that? According to the manufacturer, it's waterproof and non-toxic. They claim it's the "safest" epoxy there is.

Quikcrete dye colors are a good choice also. If I didn't already have about 5 gallons of epoxy resin that I'm using for a different project, I'd probably go that route. The dyes are very easy to use and have a few colors to choose from (red, brown, buff, charcoal and terra cotta.) I've used them before on loach caves and believe they were fish safe. What I learned is that once the concrete has established itself in an aquarium for a few months, it quits leaching due to that it naturally gets sealed by nitrifying bacteria. If you don't want to stress your fish, you could do a fishless cycle on it before adding it to the aquarium. Just put the project in a container filled with water and throw some mature aquarium sand or gravel in it. Bubble it with an air stone to get some water movement and surface agitation. Add a little ammonia every few days. Monitor the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels. Once you start getting a steady increase in nitrate, it should be ready for the aquarium.

Psylant

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Canada
Where did you read/see that? According to the manufacturer, it's waterproof and non-toxic. They claim it's the "safest" epoxy there is.
Quote from their site:

Mix 3 to 1, let set for a few minutes and apply to just about anything.
May add water for a thinner application. Use within 2 hours but may add water to extend pot life. Self leveling.

Use brush, pallet knife, popsicle stick to apply. Air dry. Eco Epoxy takes about 8 hours to dry and then continues curing for up to a week. May apply a second coat in 24 hours. May sand if necessary.

Wash brushes and hands with soap and water.

Also, that's exactly what I was going to do. Let it sit in a tub by itself for a couple weeks and then toss some snails in there and feed. Here's hoping! :)

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
Do you got a link where you got that quote from?

The Ecopoxy site says "gloves and other personal protection should always be used. If you should get any epoxy on your skin, it should be cleaned off with a waterless soap immediately, then thoroughly washed with soap and water. Tools can be washed with white vinegar or Isopropyl alcohol or Denatured Alcohol."

"You can add 2% Denatured Alcohol by volume to the mixed content (resin and hardener), this will thin the viscosity for easier application. This is commonly used on our Ecopoxy Color due to its thick viscosity."

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
Did you get that quote from website for "Eco Epoxy"? That's not "Ecopoxy". That's different stuff from a different company.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store