clearest water possible, what do i need

mystic.bertie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2008
scotland
thanks guys for all the advice, the filters i have were chosen by someone else i bought the entire setup from him, i dont want to buy any filters so i need to work with what i have. so realisatically i am just looking to buy media for my current filters fluval 205 and 304 and 2 aquaclear powerheads with cartridge attachment.

so by what has been suggested i should try purigen, is this better than the bioomax media i am using

also what is floss is it just the white cotton wool like filter wool

i have a polishing pad in my powerhead filter attachment, its the aquaclear one so im not sure what micron this is

someone suggested carbon however i have read only to use this to remove medicines as it does not do much more good than that

navygirl76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
www.flickr.com
you need a micron filter pad, or polyester quilt batting works great. also, i use purigen in my malawi tank and the water looks great.

Guerillah

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2008
USA
UV will clear the water, but you will still have debris floating around that only a micron filter will be able to get rid of.

Corrado93

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2008
Canada
i used to use Chemi Pure but its too expensive. Made water really clear though.

dedicate a HOB filter just for polishing with only floss and afordable carbon....should do wonders.

C

chesterthehero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
corona, ca
ive yet to find anything better than weekly water changes, not overfeeding, pot scrubbies and polyfill media...

Starting up

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2007
australia
I would go to the hardware store and get a in-line water filter that is designed for household use and use some pvc fitting to place it in-line with your canister and place a micron cartridge in it. Get a selection of sizes and see how they go. It will need cleaning regally at first but after some time should settle down.
Something like this

inline filter.jpg

WalterMelon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2008
Minnesota
I would have to recommend polyester felt. I made some filter socks, and they catch just about everything in the water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store