Clown loach. MARKINGS

GREENWOOD

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2023
Any thoughts in the community about this happening due to hormones treatment in breeding?

Redshark1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2017
Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
Hi GREENWOOD. I'm currently on here to report my Clown Loaches reaching 30 years of age in a separate thread.

But I've often seen the odd one or two with unusual markings in a batch of one or two hundred fresh wild yearling imports.

I did see a shipment of hormone-bred fish from the Czech Republic over ten years ago and many (>50%) had unusual markings. Even more had mis-shapen heads so I didn't really like them and the shop owner wasn't going to order them again.

On Clown Loach Fanatics Facebook the ones with abnormal stripes are called oddballs and are highly regarded. The patterns allow you to identify individual fish more easily but I am not so keen on them myself.

Clown Loach fry normally have 4 black stripes at first but they lose one of the stripes (the one under the dorsal fin) at around 3 months of age.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

GREENWOOD

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2023
Hi GREENWOOD. I'm currently on here to report my Clown Loaches reaching 30 years of age in a separate thread.

But I've often seen the odd one or two with unusual markings in a batch of one or two hundred fresh wild yearling imports.

I did see a shipment of hormone-bred fish from the Czech Republic over ten years ago and many (>50%) had unusual markings. Even more had mis-shapen heads so I didn't really like them and the shop owner wasn't going to order them again.

On Clown Loach Fanatics Facebook the ones with abnormal stripes are called oddballs and are highly regarded. The patterns allow you to identify individual fish more easily but I am not so keen on them myself.

Clown Loach fry normally have 4 black stripes at first but they lose one of the stripes (the one under the dorsal fin) at around 3 months of age.

GREENWOOD

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2023
Thanks for the info....they have jumped in price here...$30 for a 3/4"...yikes..Ill continue my quest for the donut marked unicorn!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store