Common Freshwater Fish to Avoid in Home Aquaria

Delhezi222

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2007
P
MN_Rebel;2375339; said:
What about albino channel catfish, chinese sailfin suckers, and common pleco?
I may add the channel and pleco sometime.

MN_Rebel;2375343; said:
I forget add the paddlefish too as they are offered as juvies.
Paddlefish aren't common at all.

Musd

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2008
canada
what I would add to that would be Goldfish. most peopel don't expect them to grow to 8"+ and many keep them in small aquariums or even bowls.

Delhezi222

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2007
P
Musd;2375760; said:
what I would add to that would be Goldfish. most peopel don't expect them to grow to 8"+ and many keep them in small aquariums or even bowls.
Goldfish?
That's not a bad thought. I might do that sometime in the future.

Delhezi222

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2007
P
duke33;2375786; said:
Nice work. How about the cute little TSN?
I had that in the original list that I made before I posted.
I'll get to work on it soon.

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
Great post! I think any fish over 6 inches should be added. This might sound crazy, but most people walking in arent that serious about fish and dont know better. Big fish are only bought and properly cared for by serious aquarists.

All those fish you mentioned made me think about the ones I see in my LFS. And people buy them and I know that fishes life is doomed. People pay $5-$10 for a fish and it lives for a week.

Delhezi222

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2007
P
Pyramid_Party;2375842; said:
Great post! I think any fish over 6 inches should be added. This might sound crazy, but most people walking in arent that serious about fish and dont know better. Big fish are only bought and properly cared for by serious aquarists.

All those fish you mentioned made me think about the ones I see in my LFS. And people buy them and I know that fishes life is doomed. People pay $5-$10 for a fish and it lives for a week.
Thanks. I'll do my best to add all the fish I can. I can't get them all, but I can try.

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
Delhezi222;2375876; said:
Thanks. I'll do my best to add all the fish I can. I can't get them all, but I can try.

My post was a bit ridiculous. I was just pointing out the reality of fish buying in stores. But any fish that grows a foot probably should not be purchased by regular people who arent informed or serious. But the ones you named are the really serious ones.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
You should add the goldfish as they are dead common, and ive seen HUGE ones. heres this pictures of two huge comet goldfish at the LFS and they are females, both weighted 3 pounds and are full of eggs. A cheap 13 cents feeder goldfish will become this monster goldfish.

goldfish.jpg

goldfish2.jpg

biggoldfish.jpg

fatgoldfish.jpg

Delhezi222

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2007
P
Pyramid_Party;2375894; said:
My post was a bit ridiculous. I was just pointing out the reality of fish buying in stores. But any fish that grows a foot probably should not be purchased by regular people who arent informed or serious. But the ones you named are the really serious ones.
Yeah, your post was very true though.
The sad truth is that most people can't adequately provide for the large majority of fish.

MN_Rebel;2375920; said:
You should add the goldfish as they are dead common, and ive seen HUGE ones. heres this pictures of two huge comet goldfish at the LFS and they are females, both weighted 3 pounds and are full of eggs. A cheap 13 cents feeder goldfish will become this monster goldfish.
Goldfish may be in the works.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store