Common Names : Chocolate Cichlid & Other Confusing Common Names

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Although "eye biter" may be an over statement (they should be called sale biters), in the book The Cichlid Fishes by George Barlow 2000,
Ripping scales and fin membranes off other fishes is called lepidophagy
"the genus Perissodus are so specialized that their members have snouts bent to the left or right to varying degrees. The bias is genetically set and the crooked snouts can be seen in fry. Remarkably the attacker can launch a strike only toward the side in which the jaw is bent."
Females of one species may mimic a female of another in order to tear off a mouthfull of scales from a male and speed off.
On a side note, I may label 1 of my bag of red ceibals simply "red ceibals" at the next auction, and another bag "red super collider ceibals" to see if it makes a difference in the bidding.
Or instead of simply Gymnogeophagus balzani, I think they should be called Gymno "electric yellow super KOK battering scull world of war"balzani.
but I digress.
Jim ---you must be old like me, I started collecting cichlids in the late 50s

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
How about the name "Fluke" for Paralichthys dentatus or Summer Flounder if your not in the North East. Neither one of those names are discriptive. Perhaps Flounder has somthing to do with the way they flop around in deck when cought but where Fluke came from escapes me.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
This is such a great thread! And I have nothing to add. :irked:
It is nice seeing two people that have been doing this longer than me in the same thread!
I personally like going by Latin names. They always tell a story of some kind: Who discovered it, a physical characteristic etc.... I admit some of these names for the same old fish are entertaining.

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
Although "eye biter" may be an over statement (they should be called sale biters), in the book The Cichlid Fishes by George Barlow 2000,
Ripping scales and fin membranes off other fishes is called lepidophagy
"the genus Perissodus are so specialized that their members have snouts bent to the left or right to varying degrees. The bias is genetically set and the crooked snouts can be seen in fry. Remarkably the attacker can launch a strike only toward the side in which the jaw is bent."
Females of one species may mimic a female of another in order to tear off a mouthfull of scales from a male and speed off.
On a side note, I may label 1 of my bag of red ceibals simply "red ceibals" at the next auction, and another bag "red super collider ceibals" to see if it makes a difference in the bidding.
Or instead of simply Gymnogeophagus balzani, I think they should be called Gymno "electric yellow super KOK battering scull world of war"balzani.
but I digress.
Jim ---you must be old like me, I started collecting cichlids in the late 50s
]
Duane, you are just a "fountain of knowledge" when it comes to fish trivia. And yes, I'm not only old, like you ... I am just as silly.:thumbsup:. I got my first fish (Platys) in 1954.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Duane, you are just a "fountain of knowledge" when it comes to fish trivia. And yes, I'm not only old, like you ... I am just as silly.:thumbsup:. I got my first fish (Platys) in 1954.
Goodness! That was before my mom was born! :lol2:

There really is an incredible wealth of knowledge on this site. :)

As for me, I can't stand the common name of my favorite fish: the African tiger fish. Tigerfish is a stupid name for this fish. It has nothing to do with tigers! Datnoides are tiger fish; their pattern looks like a tiger. Hydrocynus is a perfect name for these fish. They're active, intelligent and aggressive. They also prowl around in packs. Dogfish is the perfect name for them! Their scientific name is literally 'water dogs'. I really wish that term would catch on for these things.

MyGiants

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2010
North American Region
stores.ebay.com
I think they come up with names when they capture them out of the water. A fish color can look different when its out of the water versus how they look when there under water not stressed out.

I remember when Pigeon Blood discus first hit the market. I always wondered then how they came up with "Pigeon Blood". I mean yes they had some intense orangy color but not really Red at the time.

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
There is a salt water fish named Slippery Dick. Clearly they missed on that one.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Slippery dicks are from the same sub-order as cichlids (Labroidei), and when spawning, subordinant males try to slip into the action to get a little action themselves.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store