Common Names : Chocolate Cichlid & Other Confusing Common Names

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
Maybe when this fish was first caught they would slip out of there hands easily. So they said this fish is a slippery dick! and the name stuck
It's not ummmm... eel shaped is it lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Midas because they are gold and everything King Midas touched turned to gold "The Midas Touch" I can see that one, a strech but I get it.

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
Goodness! That was before my mom was born! :lol2:

There really is an incredible wealth of knowledge on this site. :)

As for me, I can't stand the common name of my favorite fish: the African tiger fish. Tigerfish is a stupid name for this fish. It has nothing to do with tigers! Datnoides are tiger fish; their pattern looks like a tiger. Hydrocynus is a perfect name for these fish. They're active, intelligent and aggressive. They also prowl around in packs. Dogfish is the perfect name for them! Their scientific name is literally 'water dogs'. I really wish that term would catch on for these things.
Big ass teeth and stripes. Screams tiger to me

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Big ass teeth and stripes. Screams tiger to me

I've never seen a tiger with stripes that go front to back. Colors don't match either. I don't like the name, I don't think it fits.

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
I've never seen a tiger with stripes that go front to back. Colors don't match either. I don't like the name, I don't think it fits.
But it is obvious that that is the reason for it. There is nothing dog-like about their teeth either

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store