Confused with P14 and it's trade name

csx4236

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2006
USA
SovietFireExtinguisher;2147945; said:
csx4236, are you breeding those Rays in the picture? I don't know if or when, but I would really like to purchase one when the time comes. I have been trying to find some P14 for a while. I know that they generally don't get as big as Leopoldis and are just as if not more beautiful in my opinion.

Large female in picture if pregnant now for first time so now, So in near future we should have some available.

royalray

Candiru
MFK Member
May 21, 2008
Under the hot sun
Hi Andreas, My galaxy also have big and small spot...... but i was told it is only galaxy. so you recon it as Galaxy Royal? he is very well but......

need a girl for him..... anyone can spare one female for him? hehe....

DSC_1275.jpg

DSC_1302.jpg

royalray

Candiru
MFK Member
May 21, 2008
Under the hot sun
Hi Andreas, Now only i see my galaxy is the same with the 2nd photo you posted. I got it from Bjoern, so is actually your baby? pls find a girl for your baby.... hehehe....

very nice galaxy, you have a name for him? i need more from you....

rayman

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2005
Germany
@Mike
great, that she is pregnant!
Very interested how the pups will look.

And yes, the ones with many dots take very long to darken.
Tess still show some grey areas developing into new spots. And she is almost 3 years old.

@Mark
Tess is still a vergin, no bitemarks on her skin.

@royalray
your ray was breed by Björn. I had this ray for more than a year, but then I decided to sell him and to breed Tess with her father. But Tess and her father are still separate. I want to take pictures of her fully developed and without mating damages.

Each Galaxy has some slightly bigger spots surroundet by small spots.

As I wrote, there is no clear definition of the term Galaxy Royal.
Who will set the standard?
We can use Tess as standard :)
So the definition would be > 800 dots and some of the large dots bigger than eye diameter. (But how many Galaxy Royal are out there if this would be the standard?)

I had always the impression that in P14 very large spots (> eye diameter) = Royal, much spots = Galaxy and the combination of very much spots with some very large spots (> eye diameter) = Galaxy Royal.
(btw. my intention is not to higher the prize of my rays. But it is normal to give different strains of animals specific names. And to set a standard is better than to have the confusion that nobody knows what you mean if you use the term Galaxy or Galaxy Royal.)

Is there anybody out there who is working on standards for stingray strains?
If there will be a stingray championchip in the future, some standards must set long before these events.

StefanW

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2007
Germany
Hi Andi,

after reading this thread, I also counted dots from a print of my P14.

With all the dots, which are visible from this view, on the tail and all on the edge of the disc (do all those count?), one of my females seems to have between 960 and 980 dots :WHOA:

This female is also pregnant for the first time, at the moment and the father has (also counted a few minutes ago), about 730 dots :) I wonder, how the pups will develop:popcorn:

But the pictures I counted the dots on, are already half a year old. I would bet, that the dots could have got more, or a few dots may have divided into two...........on the pics you can see, that at the time I took the photo, the male still was not completely as dark as he could be and already as dark as he is actually.
After the female gave birth in a few weeks, I would have put them all into another, new and bigger tank anyway. I will use that chance, to take actual pics of all my P14 (3 more big females between at least 600 and 800 dots) then and afterwards, I will have a very close look at the number of their dots.....;)

Here are pics of the couple, which I alredy postet here, some time before......

Regards
Stefan

P14 Weibchen I.JPG

P14 Galaxy Männchen.JPG

StefanW

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2007
Germany
Hi Mike,

if I am not completely wrong, at least some of our both P14, have the same german origin (=breeder)!?
Maybee Andi knows more.......

Regards
Stefan

csx4236

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2006
USA
StefanW;2149340; said:
Hi Mike,

if I am not completely wrong, at least some of our both P14, have the same german origin (=breeder)!?
Maybee Andi knows more.......

Regards
Stefan
Yes you seem to be correct.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store