Contraversial but up for Debate - DATs "stable" term ..... misunderstood

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
vanimate;2618057; said:
The definition of the word "stable" is "steadfast; not wavering or changeable". A dat cannot be "semi-stable" that is just contrary to its own definition. It is either stable or not.

I agree with a dats color being more vibrant at times, but I have only a couple that I would consider stable, whether its feeding time or tank cleaning time or bad water quality or whatever, these guys will never go dark or change their color. To me this is what I would consider a "stable" dat.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: seems to be what i see.........

ronnie08

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2008
new zealand
i also agree with you henward..was good catching up with you the other night..

where's dat101 would like to hear what he's got to say since he's got enough of them...

henward

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
i think a dat can be perfectly happy when the colour isnt vivid and bars separated.
and the other way too.
i think you must look at the dats actions to see if its happy or not, not its colours thats all
but hey, im no zoologist lol

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I used to have Dats that would color up after a water change, but during feeding time, if they get live, they turn unstable. I thought it was to blend in more to hide from it's prey.

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
I'm with the op, that not saying I think a stable dat is less happy than an unstable one, but exactly as he said I have one that is ALWAYS ultra-stable in a golden/cream colour and when he hunts he goes, well, almost paper white.. the eyes also turn almost white..

this is just a theory but maybe its a in lack of a better description regional thing.. the dats that hunt in the sea weeds in a sunny area with bright sand might be better suited (literary :D) for hunting with a golden body and a very defined stripes and a dat that lives in a darker area (muddier water) less well lit and a darker sand may be better camouflaged with a darker body and less defined stripes..

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
interesting ettfrettbranam. Never considered that. Notwithstanding, I think Dixon mentioned conjecture/theories..... i agree with this, there are 2 many opposing factors which affect tigers stability.
e.g. IME:
Some go stable during water change whilst others go dark.
Some go stable when threatened by other fish, others will go dark and hide.
Some go dark after lights out to hide, others become really active and stable.
Most go stable when they are hungry (say after 2 days no feeding)
Most will go all dark after they have stuffed themselves and lay in corner.

I beleive a stable dat, does NOT necessarily, represent a healthy & active swimming Dat. Just means he has awesome colours.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
interesting thread, good info!

is it possible that a dark dat could be considered a "stable" dat? afterall, why is that that the term "stable" should be used to refer to the bright bold colors? id be curious to see what color these guys are in the wild most of the time

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
stable = the tiger has good color ALL the time
unstable = the colors are not good all the time it may show good color at diffrent times doesnt mean its stable

ECarbonel

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2007
my dat that i bought from iori stays stable 24/7 but the other 4 stay unstable as u stated after eating haha.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store