Contraversial but up for Debate - DATs "stable" term ..... misunderstood

SovietFireExtinguisher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2008
Canada
To me stable refers to their color and nothing else. If it stays colored up 24/7 then it's stable. If it varies during certain activities then it's not. Pretty simple. Personality has nothing to do with it. Fish's comfort has nothing to do with it. Fish eating has nothing to do with it. Tank mates have nothing to do with it. If it's stable, it's stable regardless of environmental factors. If your fish is not like that, then it's simple you DO NOT have a stable Dat. It may color up and stay bright most of the time, but if it's not ALL the time, then it's just not what should be considered a "stable" Dat. I do agree that point of collection in the wild has all to do with it. If you need to be vibrant 24/7 for hunting, mating, evading prey, and territorial staking, then you are going to be stable always. That's just my Dat loving opinion.;)

djoverdose

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2008
Manila Philippines
^ so most likely it is very hard to find a dat that you can call stable, if you are saying that a "stable " dat should display its color 24/7 regardless of the environment? so for example i had a DAT that was not stable, but when i placed some tankmates all of a sudden it becomes stable 24/7 how can you classify it?

i guess theres a connection with its environment. because some tigers do became unstable but when you introduce another tiger, some times one of them becomes the alpha of the group and usually that alpha always displays its bold colors all the time... how about water quality and lighting? some even say that the background color of your tank can make a difference in terms of stability....

devder1

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2008
arizona
sounds reasonable

badreverend

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2007
Bishop Ca
From what I understand the bars are the dats camouflage- so its able to blend with reeds and water type grass. On the other hand a possible explanation for instability after feeding is the dat is uncomfortable and feeling vulnerable with its belt loose and unbuttoned pants- just some other possible points of view

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store