Convict Cichlids Fighting After Unsuccessful Spawn

Soco

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2015
Johannesburg
www.vetexonline.co.za
Hey everyone

Sorry I am a noob with cichlids and I have a few questions about breeding and such.

I have 2 Convict cichlids, in the middle of last week they laid their first batch of eggs and the fry hatched last week thursday but unfortunately something went wrong and the fry lasted for a few days and then died :( It has nothing to do with water conditions as far as I know, water is pristine.

However since the passing of the fry, my male convict has decided to constantly chase the female around, he was very placid before and had no anger issues at all until the passing of the fry.

Is this normal? The female has a hiding spot where the male can't get to her so when he chases her around she has somewhere to go, but he pretty much watches her and if she pokes her head out far enough he has a little go at her, but if she comes out to eat he will chase her until she goes back to hiding.

Sorry for the extremely long winded message I just need to know if there is anything in particular I should do?

Last edited:

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Basically, now that the breeding process has ended, the dominate fish has returned to what nature has programmed it to be, greedy and selfish. Its a behavior programmed into animals in order to increase its chances of survival in the wild. Just because they've mated, doesn't mean they'll remain "friends" afterwards

Soco

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2015
Johannesburg
www.vetexonline.co.za
Thanks for the replies :)

If there anything I can do in the mean time? Im currently looking for a divider that will fit my tank properly so she can have some freedom to swim about without him being an ass haha

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Is 25.5 gallons not big enough for the two of them? :(
Honestly, no. A 55 would be an ideal minimum. A larger tank would also allow you to add dither fish to get all the attention off the female

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I'd say 25 is plenty personally, a divider might be necessary; but I'd be inclined to try sight breaks and plenty of hiding places first. What are the tank dimensions?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store