Cool Oscar and Cool Catfish..need help.

noonein2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
illnios
I was wondering if any of you would like to help me out in my fish tank it is a 55 Gallon. The fish I have in the tank are Two Oscars 4.5 inchs and a Blue Channel Catfish that is 1 foot or 12 inchs. Yes I know my fish Catfish is to BIG for my tank you say. but he is a lazy Person sits there but at night he is just like zoom zoom ZOOM I was just wondering what type of fish iI could put in the tank because4 the pet guy at the store tells me you can't put any other fish in the tank but im confuzzled by the people at petco and petsmart and other store so tell me what should I put in the tank.

artemis1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2007
wiscawwnsin
You should take everything out and put a Jack Dempsey in there.

It doesn't matter if your channel cat doesn't move, he'll pollute the tank with his huge bioload and all your fish will die. Not to mention eventually he'll get bigger than the aquarium you keeping him in.

The oscars will both get 12'' + and need to go to. A jack dempsey or two would be the perfect fish for a 55g.

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
I agree with the others, though you could possibly get away with a single oscar if your diligent about water changes.

le patron

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2008
USA
i wouldnt take the word of the people from petsmart or petco. they say that red snook only need 20g tanks and that oscars can live in a 30g tank their whole life, which is way off

BloodredOscar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2008
Canada
Try Upgrading to a 75g, keep your 55 put your Channel cat. in the 75, use the 55 for a growout for the oscar's, then when the oscar's get 10 - 14 inches sell your cat to an LFS and there you go. Or Get a 120g and put all of them in there when the oscar get's bigger. I keep 2 oscar's in a 75g that are 12".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store