Crayfish for food source

Warrensmentor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2012
Virginia
For the first time, I bought a feeder crayfish from my lfs. It was $3.99. It was maybe a little over an inch. I clipped the claws, and dropped it in the ray tank. 3 seconds later, my black retic was pounding it, and 20 seconds later every bit was gone. I was thrilled because I'm sure a whole crayfish is a very nutritious meal so I began brainstorming how to feed them more often, for a lower price. Of course breeding them comes to mind, and I'm still considering that, but I live in virginia where crayfish thrive. So I went to a local creek and in an hour caught 9 crayfish of varying size (I also caught three small fish and a salamander). Well, I went home all excited, called venom stinger to come over and grab some because 9 is to many, and then the bad part...i did the same thing (clip the claws), and dropped it in. my rays got excited, and both big rays tried to hit it, but freaked out and swam away. I next tried cutting legs off. Same thing happened. Next I cut the tail off and the it in. Same thing happened. why won't they eat it? Any thoughts? Also, is it safe to feed the small salamander to them?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Warrensmentor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2012
Virginia
I and my family eat from local rivers and lakes. I don't live in a third world country, this is fairfax virginia. That creek water is good.

peterp63

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
On a boat!
But, I'm sure it's cooked when y'all eat it, bro. No telling what parasites are in those things. Not worth it if you ask me.

Warrensmentor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2012
Virginia
Maybe the rays knew something I didn't...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

B_IN_SD

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2006
Sturgis S.D.
You can alawys try raising/breeding crays that way you would know they are safe

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
Wow bunch of bs.
Where do u think the pet shop gets the crayfish from. I've caught lots of crayfish from areas of heavily populated areas that has a mercury consumption advisory on eating fish from the river.my rays are fine.
If your worried about parasites keep them in quarantine for a month with very clean water and threat them with flubendazole . That will 100% kill any parasite ,it may even kill some of the crayfish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store