crazy lfs....animal cruelty?

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
What you guys have to understand is fish/pet stores are designed to hold animals temporarily until they sell. They are not equipped to have set ups like hobbyists. It is stupid to complain about it I have never been to ANY fish/pet store that was able to give every single animal proper space, heat, light, and food. In a business they can't afford to do this.

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
All these people saying to report it to the BBB. I might as well report you too cause no matter what kind of set up you have it is cruel to animals. It is a fish store, it is a business, it is designed to hold animals TEMPORARILY. If you guys really give a damn about the welfare of animals you wouldn't support the hobby. The business is there cause of the consumer.

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
How the hell do you guys think the fish get to your fish tank? The whole process is sad and cruel. Some of you people may say, "well I get them from an online vendor". Even the most reputable vendors keep their fish in a similar condition as the LFS. They have a bunch of 10 and 20 gallons they stuff fish into before they ship them off. What you guys don;t understand is by being the consumer you are the driving force of this business. So if anything, slap yourself in the face and quit complaining.

C L O W N K N I F E

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2011
Plumas Lake, California
It hurts to see, I know a few places nearby that are the same way. Sadly, theres not much you can do...arguing or trying to reason with the owner and telling him he doesn't provide proper living conditions will just get you kicked out and he'll continue to keep them the way he does, because in the long run it'll save him more money.

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
It hurts to see, I know a few places nearby that are the same way. Sadly, theres not much you can do...arguing or trying to reason with the owner and telling him he doesn't provide proper living conditions will just get you kicked out and he'll continue to keep them the way he does, because in the long run it'll save him more money.
There is no animal cruelty laws regarding fish. They can barely prosecute for cat and dog animal cruelty cases. People recognize fish as ornaments rather than pets. Fish in a fish store are nothing more than merchandise just like buying a loaf of bread at the store.

C L O W N K N I F E

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2011
Plumas Lake, California
There is no animal cruelty laws regarding fish. They can barely prosecute for cat and dog animal cruelty cases. People recognize fish as ornaments rather than pets. Fish in a fish store are nothing more than merchandise just like buying a loaf of bread at the store.
True...but not all people recognize fish as ornaments rather than pets, I'm pretty sure no one or not many people on MFK recognize their fish as ornaments (I know I don't, not sure about you)

If you mean that most owners of pet/fish stores and most employees working at fish/pet stores look at their fish and animals only as "ornaments" then that is true for the most part...but there are quite a few stores/vendors that care for their fish really well as if they were their own

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Tough call... The way i see it, if the LFS purposely placed say an RTC in a 5ft display tank i'd call it cruel.. But if its a return or a fish they ordered and outgrew the temp tank whos to say its really cruel?

Since as keepers it sometimes happens to us to, and that future upgrade just never happens due to unforeseen circumstances...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jay88

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2010
Australia
Everything is about effin money..money money...i say report them.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

blue phantom

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2011
Denver, CO

I bet you own a pet store lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store