Crenicichla sp. 'atabapo fire'

rasdbo

420man
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2005
near purple indo lake
so a Lugubris Atabapo is different from your Fire.

thought this was Venezuela...

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Thats the joy of Lugubris pikes...the juv. don't look like the adults...pretty sure the fish taz. posted is the same fish you posted, just different stages in their life. Its possible though that taz. posted some pictures of strigata....some Lugubris pikes are hard to ID as juv and you really have to wait till they hit subadult/adult coloration. As a general rule, most Lugubris pikes go through AT LEAST two color changes...so the juvs. you buy are not what the adults are gonna look like...;)..and yes, a 'lugubris atapabo' is WAY different from my fire...;)...I'll try to find yaz a picture...:p

Peanut_Power

MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
Here are three different pictures of 'atabapo's...all atabapo really means is the river system they were collected from...but these are some of the true atabapos, there might be some different ones but these are the ones I know of. Anywho, the first picture is of a 'rio atabapo'...not the type i have, the second picture is of 'atabapo II' yet again not what I have, and the last one is what I believe to be 'atabapo fire'.....;)...so just to give you an idea what the adults look like. Keep in mind all these fish are OUT of water, so their colors are MUCH better when they are in the water. Oh, also, the first and the last picture are of adults, the middle one is of a juv/subadult, but its not an adult yet...;).

rioatabapo.jpg

atabapo.jpg

atabapofire.jpg

Peanut_Power

MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
Hadrian;483010; said:
just sending a reply to meet my 5 quota-i just got an atabapo from rapps

Sorry bro, striped you of all those posts. Spamming to get your 5 posts doesn't work here. You really gotta post, not just take up space so you can reach the five. All the mods look for it, so its not just me. I know you have a lot to talk about about though so go for it!! I know you can reach it easily!!

About the atabapos...how many did you get? I have to tell you now, the atabapos you got from Rapps aren't TRUE atabapos...unfortunately. They are actually another species, called Crenicichla sp. 'lugubris' cf. 'atabapo. Basically they are species of Lugubris that looks kinda like atabapo and are generally collected in the same area....hence the name. Still a great fish, just wanted to give you a heads up so when it does mature and loses all its juv. coloration, you won't be disappoint that you didn't have the real fire pike. HOWEVER, if they look like the pikes in this thread....;)...then they ARE the REAL Crenicichla sp. 'atabapo fire'...but last time i checked Rapps hasn't had them in a realllly long time...;)

Hadrian

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
virginia
Got it. I think the one I got from rapps are the real deal. It looks identical to the ones above, and is getting more colorfull. Hopefully it is a good one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store