Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Swimdude776;483992; said:
it looks like they have a little hole in the head

When I first got them yes they did have HITH. When I purchased them I had no idea that they had it...so i was a little irked about it to say the least. However, only took me a few weeks and it was completely healed over....:D...so i wasn't upset. You HAVE to keep your water conditions pristine with pikes. They are very prone to gettin HITH, especially the black water species. Lugubris seem to get it more than Saxatilis pikes too...as well as LLE (Lateral Line Erosion)...so keep that water clean and keep up with the water changes VERY faithfully. Start slippin, and they could start to get it.

Peanut_Power

MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
Hadrian;483545; said:
Got it. I think the one I got from rapps are the real deal. It looks identical to the ones above, and is getting more colorfull. Hopefully it is a good one.
Go to the first page, the first set of pictures are the TRUE atabapo. Unless Rapps got in some new pikes that I don't know about, the ones he is sellin aren't true atabapos. They will still get red, and be beautiful, but not the real deal. I would love to see some pictures of yours though! That would be awesome! Since no one seems to want to post pictures of their atabapos that they get from Rapps.

Peanut_Power

MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
You got these I am assuming? sp. ‘Red Atabapo’ 6-6.5” extremely rare to collect/import! True blood red Venezuelan pike

True sp. 'atabapo' come from Brazil last time i checked. Could be a fluke, or maybe i got my sources wrong....might be Colombia? Dangit....now I'm second guessin myself...haha. The atabapos Rapps has though aren't the real deal. They will be REALLY nice though, and i do envy anyone that has any. So post those beautiful bean footage, er, i mean pikes!!

Hadrian

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
virginia
PP-you are right now that I've seen ALL the pics I thin (almost sure) that rapps sells C. Lug. Atabapos a very red fish on maturity from two pics I've seen-one in the Aqualog on pikes and the other posted under pikalicious on aquatic predators. Though not Crenicichla atabapo. th true CA seems to have that very strong tear drop in red under its' eye upon maturity. Then again who knows it seems a bit of a crap shoot. I will post some shots when mine colors up-i hope you do too. Thanks for the info.

Peanut_Power

MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
I don't have my pikes right now, lost them all in the move....workin on gettin some more...hopefully...;).

Sorry, forgot to mention the tear drop...haha...yes, that is a VERY prominant feature of the true atabapo.

amazonfishman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2005
On the Rio Araguaia, I wish...
I'll throw down some pics of the crenicichla sp atabapo I got from rapps, the colors are more intense then when I bought it but mostly staying fairly constant now and the pike is about 8-8.5" I'd say. Pics are according to time I've had it since June being the least colorfull and September the most.

I would like to see some pics of the one you picked up as well Hadrian at this stage to compare it to mine. Peanut post some pics of your new babies the last ones I saw they were in the bag still :) ~Trent

myatabapopikejune061.JPG

myatabapopikejune062.JPG

myatabapopikejul061.jpg

myatabapopikeaug063.jpg

myatabapopikeaug061.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store