Cycle is going no where.. Any Advice?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Because cycling is the process of growing large populations of 2 different types of bacteria, one that uses ammonia, and one that uses nitrite. It takes time.
These beneficial bacteria are not free floating plank-tonic, but sessile, meaning they are a biofilm that needs a surface/substrate to attach to.
The larger the tank, the larger the populations must be.
3 weeks is hardly enough time to grow the billions of bacteria needed, 2 months is more realistic.

SLAYER6669

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
NJ
Just tested and as I expected, nothing new.. 4ppm ammonia, 0 nitirite, 0 nitrate. Same parameters for weeks now.

SLAYER6669

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
NJ
I am already closing in on 4 weeks now. The bacteria to convert the nitrites into nitrates should take a really long time, but shouldn't I have seen Nitrites by now?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I cycled a tank one time and never saw nitrite at all. I was using tetra safe start, though. Ammonia readings stayed low, too

I just cycled bio media in a trash can with nothing but water and ammonia. That took a while, and nitrite tested high for a day or two. Point is, nitrite sometimes comes and goes really quick. But ammonia should get chewed up pretty quick. I'd say test nitrate, don't change water until you see some nitrates, and be sure to use something to treat chlorine/chloramine if you do change water.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Because cycling is the process of growing large populations of 2 different types of bacteria, one that uses ammonia, and one that uses nitrite. It takes time.
These beneficial bacteria are not free floating plank-tonic, but sessile, meaning they are a biofilm that needs a surface/substrate to attach to.
The larger the tank, the larger the populations must be.
3 weeks is hardly enough time to grow the billions of bacteria needed, 2 months is more realistic.
He should have either nitrite or nitrate readings by now especially if he used stability.
He won't be completely cycled, but should definitely be registering readings.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I cycled a tank one time and never saw nitrite at all. I was using tetra safe start, though. Ammonia readings stayed low, too

I just cycled bio media in a trash can with nothing but water and ammonia. That took a while, and nitrite tested high for a day or two. Point is, nitrite sometimes comes and goes really quick. But ammonia should get chewed up pretty quick. I'd say test nitrate, don't change water until you see some nitrates, and be sure to use something to treat chlorine/chloramine if you do change water.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
+1 on completely missing nitrites, I've done that a few times with smaller tanks.

jimpru

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2012
Huntsville, Al
I just completed cycling a 220 from scratch. Nothing added but ammonia. Followed directions found on another site.
Day 1 dosed with ammonia to 4ppm added full dose of prime
day 2 did 1/3 PWC treated with prime

repeated the process until fully cycled.
Took awhile but since I was in no hurry I was ok with it.

SLAYER6669

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
NJ
That is certainly possible. The directions are a bit confusing. This would effect the cycle I assume?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store