Cycle is going no where.. Any Advice?

jimpru

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2012
Huntsville, Al
It took me approximately 3 months keep in mind that I did nothing to jump start the process. Just added ammonia every other day. I also put the full amount of recommended Prime to treat the whole tank. I tried another brand but it did not work as well as the prime Once I started getting 0ppm for ammonia I started testing for Nitrites. Still continued to follow the same process and the Nitrites started falling and eventually went to Zero. So I am now able to convert about 4ppm of Ammonia to Nitrites in 24hrs or less. This was my first time so it was a good learning experience. Now I am trying to figure out which fish to add. Going with Chiclids (Haps and Peacocks).

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Yeah. This would definitely affect the cycle. There are only 2 reasons why everybody puts water conditioner in their water. Chlorine/chloramine kills fish. Chlorine/chloramine kills bacteria. The beneficial bacteria you're trying to grow are killed by chlorine/chloramine in tap water. So when you add tap water, and you don't adequately treat with "Safe" to neutralize the chlorine/chloramine in the tap water you've added--you wipe some/all of the beneficial bacteria you're trying to grow. Starting over in effect.

How much did you add? More is OK, too little is not good. It's pretty easy, just add 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon to your tank after you drain and before you add new tap water, everytime you do a water change.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Safe.html
That is certainly possible. The directions are a bit confusing. This would effect the cycle I assume?

HZO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2013
Make sure that the UV lights on your canisters are off, as they are advertised as being able to kill bacteria.

SLAYER6669

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
NJ
Ok so when I did the PWC on Christmas day I actually added almost 1 full tsp of safe so I guess I did enough. Initially when I first filled the tank I think I did about a half tsp. I really have to check how much chloramine is in the tap water to know how much I should really be dosing. I'm not planning to do any more water changes until the cycle completes. I mainly did the one because the cichlid stones I added a few days after I filled the tank added a funky smell to the water and I wanted to get rid of it. So I guess maybe my expectation for how long it would take might have been a little bit generous. Thanks everyone.

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
Yup they are. I did remember reading about that. Thanks.
Nitrifying bacteria live on surface area's not in the water column. A UV light wont hinder your nitrifying bacteria populations. Also I wouldn't worry about trying to figure out exactly how much chlorine is in your tap water. If using seachem safe just follow the dosing instructions and it will do its job.

GlennDalton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2015
Cloverdale
www.facebook.com
I think Prime is the best product. SeaChem also makes a bacterial starter called Stabilize. Their starter does not make hydrogen sulfide and propagates quickly at a much lower temperature. I put a cap full in every time I change the water. I pour it right on top the bio-wheel. I fill up 12 5 gallon containers outside the garage, put the prime in and use it the next day. When I wait a day it has a full 6% oxygen as opposed to the 2% out of the tap. All the chicken farming in our county puts allot of nitrates into the water table. I'm not quite sure what to do about that.

Glenn

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store