DAD SAID YES TO HUGE FISH TANK! Need stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Rotterdam
If I had a 500 gallon tank I would go with bigger and much better fish then your stock that stock is to common ad the fish are to easy to get you going big but going with smaller and common fish go big dude

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
trust me, you don't want to look at fish with torn fins all the time. the stock you have is too common for me... since you have such a large tank to work with, why not go with more impressive fish? and why would you need to order convicts in the mail... they are a very common cichlid...
I got an extremely good deal and they aren't very common near me

-Andrew

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
I think I'm gonna go with multiple species of cichlids in this tank, all of the mentioned ones except dovii. Gonna pick up a pair of red devils maybe. Or maybe get some other large south/central American cichlids. Gonna put some jag/flowerhorn hybrids in here as well. So stock seems pretty full. What do you guys think. Do I have enough room for the stock I mentioned above and about 10 more fish? Thinking about breeding hybrids with other hybrids? Such as jag/flowerhorn with jag/Texas? What do you guys think? What about filtration and heating? Would a 300 watt heater work? I'm getting like 3 very high powered air pumps. Getting an overhead hanging fixture for lighting. Then gonna get misc other things. I might try my luck at a sump? I don't really want to do a sump as I would need to build another like 200 gallon tank just for a sump. So id rather do what I have now which is canisters. Would two fx5's work? That's what I'm planning on doing. Also I'd pick up a high powered pond canister which is for like 1000 gallon ponds. I already have the pump for it. Just need the canister for the pond pump. This tank is gonna be huge! Can't wait to start the build! Saving up every dime I get from next week until august to work on the tank. Hopefully ill have funds for it. My dad probably wouldn't mind helping me out with funding. Gonna make my dad and mom boost up my allowance. So ill get like $40 maybe every 2 weeks. Will this be anywhere close to enough? I know it might be over $1000. The wood and glass should cost around $400. Then the stand and misc tank things should cost another $500. Hopefully I can get me some good and cheap canisters. Might have to make a sump :( not good at that as I've never had a sump.

-Andrew

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
I just read online that anything that is 500 gallons or more can't be plywood? I read it has to be concrete? I think I'm gonna go back to the 480 plans or I might just do a very large tank just not as tall.

-Andrew

Jimmy16

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2011
Las vegas
I think I'm gonna go with multiple species of cichlids in this tank, all of the mentioned ones except dovii. Gonna pick up a pair of red devils maybe. Or maybe get some other large south/central American cichlids. Gonna put some jag/flowerhorn hybrids in here as well. So stock seems pretty full. What do you guys think. Do I have enough room for the stock I mentioned above and about 10 more fish? Thinking about breeding hybrids with other hybrids? Such as jag/flowerhorn with jag/Texas? What do you guys think? What about filtration and heating? Would a 300 watt heater work? I'm getting like 3 very high powered air pumps. Getting an overhead hanging fixture for lighting. Then gonna get misc other things. I might try my luck at a sump? I don't really want to do a sump as I would need to build another like 200 gallon tank just for a sump. So id rather do what I have now which is canisters. Would two fx5's work? That's what I'm planning on doing. Also I'd pick up a high powered pond canister which is for like 1000 gallon ponds. I already have the pump for it. Just need the canister for the pond pump. This tank is gonna be huge! Can't wait to start the build! Saving up every dime I get from next week until august to work on the tank. Hopefully ill have funds for it. My dad probably wouldn't mind helping me out with funding. Gonna make my dad and mom boost up my allowance. So ill get like $40 maybe every 2 weeks. Will this be anywhere close to enough? I know it might be over $1000. The wood and glass should cost around $400. Then the stand and misc tank things should cost another $500. Hopefully I can get me some good and cheap canisters. Might have to make a sump :( not good at that as I've never had a sump.

-Andrew
you have no idea what you're getting yourself into. you need to do much more research before you even attempt to build this plywood tank... and by the sound of it, you're quite young. so i wouldn't even try to build it, it's going to be a disaster waiting to happen i'm telling you lol.

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
you have no idea what you're getting yourself into. you need to do much more research before you even attempt to build this plywood tank... and by the sound of it, you're quite young. so i wouldn't even try to build it, it's going to be a disaster waiting to happen i'm telling you lol.
Lol yeah I'm still researching a lot. My dad will. Do the major building stuff. He's really good at building. Lol I know they are some crazy things.

-Andrew

creativityasaweapon

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2011
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
Is this true?

-Andrew
Nope. Check out the ply build sticky in the DIY section. As long as you brace for it, you can go larger. And as far as the stock goes, get whatever you'd like. The only thing I have a problem with is seeing fish fight all of the time. Shredded fins and possible secondary infections aren't fun. As far as sumps go, don't be intimidated.They're a blast to build and if you get stuck, we're on MFK for a reason, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store