Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It does not, of course, imply that one can keep it outdoors. To keep any exotics outdoors, a permit from FWC is needed, AFAIU the FWC when they visited me.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
It does not, of course, imply that one can keep it outdoors. To keep any exotics outdoors, a permit from FWC is needed, AFAIU the FWC when they visited me.
I figured as much. I'm gonna look into it a bit more when the time comes. Tbh, the idea of tossing a $200 fish into a pond to live by luck is an idea that makes me somewhat nervous, especially since I intend to go fishing for it lol.

I may simply end up with a bunch if furcatus as that seems much easier and cheaper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Furcatus (blue catfish) is on the list (see the first link - conditional species), except some northern FL areas which may or may not include your neck of the woods, IDK. "Catfishes Ictalurus furcatus(Blue catfish) i.Exception: I. furcatus may be possessed in the Suwannee River and its tributaries and north and west of the Suwannee River."

As for the FWC permit, it didn't sound like a big deal (but it can be with a fish like wels because of the fed ban having been in consideration for a decade). FWC will have to make sure that the fish and potential eggs cannot escape or be moved by predators, wildlife visiting the pond, etc. The top of the pond banks should be at least 1 foot (IIRC) above 100-year flood level.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Furcatus (blue catfish) is on the list (see the first link - conditional species), except some northern FL areas which may or may not include your neck of the woods, IDK. "Catfishes Ictalurus furcatus(Blue catfish) i.Exception: I. furcatus may be possessed in the Suwannee River and its tributaries and north and west of the Suwannee River."

As for the FWC permit, it didn't sound like a big deal (but it can be with a fish like wels because of the fed ban having been in consideration for a decade). FWC will have to make sure that the fish and potential eggs cannot escape or be moved by predators, wildlife visiting the pond, etc. The top of the pond banks should be at least 1 foot (IIRC) above 100-year flood level.
Good info.

This whole deal is still so far away that I haven't read much into it yet. My pond is only about a quarter of an acre and two feet deep right now, not nearly big enough to support anything larger than a small sunfish. I'm eventually going to have it dug out to about two acres or so. The part of my land that I want to stick the pond in is still currently covered in sweetgum and pine so as you can imagine it'll be a while lol. My intention is to die on this land and I'm only 30 so I have hope.

FWIW, my front eight acres are X zone so they're above the 500 year flood plain. :)

Derpy007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2014
USA
Bro that's gonna be awesome. I'd love to see some vids of that. Never knew you could keep them!

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
These threads are making me want one so bad.. if I had friends with koi I'd probably have a two footer swimming around in there already hahah.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Update on my kitty. The shortening days have seen a slowing of growth and weaker appetite. He's only maybe 8 inches at the most, probably more like 7. I'm going to set up my 220g tote in the garage for wintering. In my dreams I'd love to do a drip change on constant, but the whole freezing thing is hampering every idea I have so far. I think the best I can do is frequent water changes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store