datnoid breeding

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
I disagree. I think that they realize that it's a highly sought after fish and it can mean big money in the long run. It's a shame it took them this long and that they allowed the fish to be eaten to extinction. I guess what we pay good money for, is just a free dinner to them.

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
I disagree. I think that they realize that it's a highly sought after fish and it can mean big money in the long run. It's a shame it took them this long and that they allowed the fish to be eaten to extinction. I guess what we pay good money for, is just a free dinner to them.
BTW:

http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/180969/0

"Artificial breeding has been attempted in Thailand since the 1990s, but without success. The species is now protected in Thailand making it illegal to catch or posses it. However, the name of the species mentioned in this law is its previous scientific name (Coius pulcher) and this creates issues when implementing the law."

:(

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Interesting how that link blames the aquarium trade and does not even mention human consumption as the main reason for the pulcher's decline.

AU_Arowana-RG

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2008
Cebu, Phillipines
Makes me wonder where all those Pulcher were coming from. Probably someone may have already started flashing some bills to get the program off the ground. A good thing, though that probably won't help the wild numbers at all, lest someone decide to release some and bribe the fishermen/market people with other kinds of fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store