Datnoid disease is nasty

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
Thanks guys. The dat is currently QT all by himself in a 265g tank. I was wondering if too much meaty food can cause this? My dats on pellets never had any illness.

fury78

Feeder Fish
Feb 23, 2011
singapore
My IT had the pop eye disease before, and it usually happens when i feed them too much feeders. Not sure if its correlated. Btw, i resolve the issue with melafix and pimafix with alternate day water change. No feeding during the period.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I don't think the food has anything to do with this ailment,in the wild all dats eat is meat.I think it is something that some dats contract and it lies dormant in their bodies.In my experience the NTT dats are most prone to the disease.

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
be careful, this is very infectious, could spread to other fish. My entire store was nearly wiped out, twice due to datnoids with "pimples" and so the some customers that had the same problem.

I coined the term datnoid disease since it came from some new guinea datnoids back in 2002 or so. starts off like a slight pimple, and whether you pop it or not, it will spread, and then attack the gills, the fish will breath heavily, then stop eating and die within days. some fish are however immune to it, lived with them and showed no signs whatsoever. I've spoke to several ichthyologist and microbiologist background people and they think its viral, hence the rapid spread. then they get secondary infections, non healing wounds which would be more likely bacterial. look up mycobacterium marinum. non healing ulcerations

good luck guys...

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
Heard the same things. Read plenty of nasty stories of people that have had collections done in by it just in the matter of days. I know cichla, and some cichlids like oscars seem to handle it if not allowed to get bad.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
I felt bad for the dat suffering so I decided to give it a salt bath dip. His pimples popped and seem to do better. However, he passed away 48 hrs later. Here is the last pic before he passed.

I drained my tank and filled up with chlorinated water. Is that enough to kill the virus that cause pimples?

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
I felt bad for the dat suffering so I decided to give it a salt bath dip. His pimples popped and seem to do better. However, he passed away 48 hrs later. Here is the last pic before he passed.

I drained my tank and filled up with chlorinated water. Is that enough to kill the virus that cause pimples?
No... I think you will need to remove and throw away ALL the devote and sand.
The. Sterilise your entirentank...
Basically start from scratch again

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
Wow man I'm so sorry to hear that datnoid didn't make it.. Diseases these days.. bacteria, parasites, etc they can become stronger with mutations out there. Scary..

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Think I have dats in my quarantine 75 that may be suffering from this. One dat has a large bump on the forehead. Haven't seen any pimples. Is this one of those visual sign of this "datnoid disease"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store