Datnoid disease is nasty

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
What you've described does not sound good.

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
Think I have dats in my quarantine 75 that may be suffering from this. One dat has a large bump on the forehead. Haven't seen any pimples. Is this one of those visual sign of this "datnoid disease"
Sorry to hear about this.. What do you think caused them to get the bumps? What do you feed them daily? Did they just get sick randomly?

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
My guess is diet. They've been with loach varieties and other bichir growouts. Those fishes didn't have any issues. I've been feeding frozen tilapia primarily and these Indos starting having issues of being grounded (swimming but immediately sinking and staying on the bottom). There's 8 Indos ranging 3"-7". The biggest one solely has the forehead bump and lay on its side. Haven't seen any pimples or bump /boils. I will say a few a couple weeks ago had Popeyes on one side. That's all fine now after treating with rock salt and Epsom.

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
My guess is diet. They've been with loach varieties and other bichir growouts. Those fishes didn't have any issues. I've been feeding frozen tilapia primarily and these Indos starting having issues of being grounded (swimming but immediately sinking and staying on the bottom). There's 8 Indos ranging 3"-7". The biggest one solely has the forehead bump and lay on its side. Haven't seen any pimples or bump /boils. I will say a few a couple weeks ago had Popeyes on one side. That's all fine now after treating with rock salt and Epsom.
what you described doesn't sound good. My dats were eating primarily tilapia too. The split bars and 3 bars dats shared the tank. the 3 bars showed no sign of the infections. I move him into another tank before he get infected. The split bars started out with a very tiny pimples then two days later more pimples showed. One pimple grew on the forehead that looked like a flowerhorn kok. After about 10 days the disease ate into the dat beak and game over for the fish. I hope you have better luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store