Datnoid growth? Heard they grow slow?

warren126

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2005
Atlanta Ga,
My LFS has a wide bar he is like 13" he told me that the fish was about 3years old he is nice he have him in his display tank

shoefreak03

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
in my own little world
my grew about 2 inches per year but they were smaller at around 4-6 inches. i feed them on alternate days market shrimp and dry shrimp only.

my 2 inch grew about 1" in 5 months now only feeding him live bloodworms and market shrimp.

They do generally grow very slow. cant wait till they becomes monsters...

Jesse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
unknownuza13 said:
Yes I believe I was thinking of Indo Dats.... Any reason you can think of that you don't see any thin bar that are big..?
Well, thinbars are less frequently imported than Indo dats. Also, thin bars are more laterally compressed, less robustly built than either widebars or Indos, so maybe they eat less and grow more slowly. I've certainly noticed that, although my thinbars eat, they aren't gluttons like my widebars. I'm just speculating here though.

unknownuza13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2005
icthyophile said:
Well, thinbars are less frequently imported than Indo dats. Also, thin bars are more laterally compressed, less robustly built than either widebars or Indos, so maybe they eat less and grow more slowly. I've certainly noticed that, although my thinbars eat, they aren't gluttons like my widebars. I'm just speculating here though.

This makes sense to me. My two widebars are huge Pigs and will eat until they are nice and fat.

krndude610

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2005
cali
my NGT takes both live and prepared food and eats vigoursly everyday what would be the estimated growth rate on NGT. Any1 who has owned a NGT before some information would be nice

DiXoN

English MFKer
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2004
Sunderland, England
i have had indos from 5-7'' and they still gre slowly even when eating loads.
my widebar which is 11''+ is the most greedy fish i have ever owned and could eat 2-3 times the amount i feed it.
i dont think it will grow bigger anytime soon though

Steve_89

NISMO
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
?
My 12inch indo has grown 1 inch in the last 6months.

Hopefully he keeps going...

Reactions: VRI

mauls

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
Kansas City, Missouri
My indo's havent grown at all since i got them about 4 months ago, they really piss me off, they just hide in the top corner of my tank, if my toilet line ran to a lake where they could survive i'd flush them, mine are some weiner ass fish.

truman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
For all younger dats its the frequency of small amounts of prepared foods or live ones that gets them growing fast.

They also stall out at about 10 inches and take forever to push furthur.

I myself have had a 4" widebar hit 13"after he was passed to a friend to raise...that took about a whole year

The fastest growth is still achieved with live feeders though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store