Datnoid growth? Heard they grow slow?

Steve_89

NISMO
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
?
redtailfool said:
A lot of people can attest to that. Still wont give feeders though..
Me too....

alfon76

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
Datnoids are generally considered slow growers but there are always exceptions. My Datnoids grow steadily at about 3-4 inches per year when young but much less when adults.
Definitely live feeders make them a lot more active and grow faster but I try to use this practice as little as possible just like many here.

NGT's do not grow very fast. My little ones grew from 2 inches to 4 inches in 1 year. Not sure if this is a rule or just my experience with them. Thin Bars are also very sluggish when it comes to growing. I have a 12 inch Thin Bar that was purchased at that size though so I can only hope to grow him even more as the years go by.

Frequency of feeding, type of food and water changes all seem to have an effect on the growth rate.

Ivan

Fried_fish

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2005
VA/MD/DC Area
Most Datnioides sp. have growth spurt. Very active. With adequate tank space and constant food they can be grow at a very impressive rate.

Im4u2nV

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2005
Jakarta - Indonesia
i still can find any datnoids in my local area...even the so called 'Indonesian Dat'..and i live in the capital city of Indonesia... :swear:

probably it's not the season yet though because in my area some fishes will become A LOT at a given time and may even scarce at some other time....

right now Clown Loach is scarce so the price went up quite a bit...and Datnoid is NADA NONE...

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
alfon76 said:
Datnoids are generally considered slow growers but there are always exceptions. My Datnoids grow steadily at about 3-4 inches per year when young but much less when adults.
Definitely live feeders make them a lot more active and grow faster but I try to use this practice as little as possible just like many here.

NGT's do not grow very fast. My little ones grew from 2 inches to 4 inches in 1 year. Not sure if this is a rule or just my experience with them. Thin Bars are also very sluggish when it comes to growing. I have a 12 inch Thin Bar that was purchased at that size though so I can only hope to grow him even more as the years go by.

Frequency of feeding, type of food and water changes all seem to have an effect on the growth rate.

Ivan

Ivan - didnt know NGTs grow slower than other Dat species. Thanks!

alfon76

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
Redtailfool, do not quote me as 100% accurate on the growth rate of NGT's but I have noticed my little ones do not grow as "fast" as the other species.

Ivan

Steve_89

NISMO
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
?
So approx how old would a 13 inch indo or pulcher be?

Fried_fish

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2005
VA/MD/DC Area
Steve_89 said:
So approx how old would a 13 inch indo or pulcher be?
Its hard to say because it depends if it was caught in wild at that size or caught at 2" etc and grown in aquarium until 13" . My guess is its at least 2 years old.

Ivan is the expert on dats as he is the true dats fanatic. I noticed that NGT when small are more picky with food than small pulcher.

alfon76

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
I agree with you fried_fish that NGT's tend to be a bit pickier with food when small. When larger however, they will eat pellets without porblems (at least mine did).

Ivan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store