I think the IT is more beautiful .. ;)but I may have a bias opinion:hypnotize

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Red the stickys...Only points to a size difference. Just wondering if there is a way to tell when they are young. I guessing I should just assume any smaller/ young dat I see is not a ST.
If you read the stickies you didn't do a good job since it points out a lot of differences not just size. Tail pattern being one, individual bars generally being thicker and a more squared, robust body which doesn't just mean size. Now I managed to get those three skimming one sticky for I'd say 10 whole seconds, so why you didn't get the same is a mystery to me.

From what I've seen so far having a ST over a IT doesn't warrant the price.
It's also been said here several times to you not to mention in the stickies you read that the price is due to their rarity. The fish is almost extinct in the wild, hasn't been bred in captivity and those available are usually older individuals who've been in a home aquaria for a long time already. So your saying you can't understand why an animal ST's which is nearly impossible to find and almost extinct is more expensive than IT's which are in greater supply in nature and in the hobby and is easier to find?

I will say that IT's also haven't bred in captivity and maybe going in the same direction as ST's in the near future, but that's not relevant to your post in the here and now. I just thought it was worth mentioning since ST's get a lot of limelight and more of us should appreciate IT's while they're still relatively easy to obtain.

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
ST and IT are both awesome fish! To be convinced of the differences, sometimes pictures and written descriptions just don't do it especially if you haven't observed many specimens of each type in person. But maybe these differences will be subtle to you and you can save a boat load of money if IT's satisfy your datnoid needs. But check out NTT and NGT. They're pretty awesome and impressive too and much cheaper than ST. Never owned an AT, but prob worth checking them out, u might like them the best

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I will say that IT's also haven't bred in captivity and maybe going in the same direction as ST's in the near future, but that's not relevant to your post in the here and now. I just thought it was worth mentioning since ST's get a lot of limelight and more of us should appreciate IT's while they're still relatively easy to obtain.
Interesting points Koltsix...There probably was a point in time when no one thought that pulchers would be in danger of going extinct.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
ST and IT are both awesome fish! To be convinced of the differences, sometimes pictures and written descriptions just don't do it especially if you haven't observed many specimens of each type in person. But maybe these differences will be subtle to you and you can save a boat load of money if IT's satisfy your datnoid needs. But check out NTT and NGT. They're pretty awesome and impressive too and much cheaper than ST. Never owned an AT, but prob worth checking them out, u might like them the best
That I'll definitely agree with, it's amazing how subtle differences can look in a pic and how in person they can become totally apparent. For instance I used to have a hard time telling Scombs from Armatus in pics until I actually kept both, after that I could some how easily distinguish the two even in pics. The slight differences in their face and overall body became apparent. It's kind of the same here, you'll know an ST is an ST when you see one in person.

Had an AT before. My least favorite of all dats.
View attachment 954558
Sorry, bad quality pic but yes. This is how it look. 13"+
Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Wow, I haven't seen many AT adults in pics, hard to believe these cute little guys will grow into that guy^^^
IMG_4701.JPG

Interesting points Koltsix...There probably was a point in time when no one thought that punchers would be in danger of going extinct.
Thanks, I had thought about it because when I was a kid and you bought a tropical fishkeeping book and it had a Dat featured in it it used to be ST's(datnioides pulcher) that was the featured dat. I imagined because at that time they where the most commonly imported dat, just like in the Aro section you'd find the Asian Green being one of the featured Aro's and Redline Snakeheads. All fish that we probably took for granted and they've disappeared or practically disappeared from the U.S. hobby. Heck I still remember my little snakehead and how they where so easy to obtain and it led me to trade him and low and behold all of a sudden they where banned. Personally I plan on getting a decent Dat collection and not letting them go no matter where my fishkeeping whims may take me. This way I'll always have the pleasure of keeping dats even if they've disappeared from the mainstream.

IMG_4701.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store