Datnoids, are they all wild caught?

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
T1KARMANN;974643; said:
i saw 1inch indos last year in a maidenhead aquatics in enfeid

Tigers have always been big in asia but its only been over the last few years they have taken off in other countrys

they were popular in the USA in the late 60's early 70's :)

Lok Tiger Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2007
Thailand
Dats are bred in ponds in South East Asia and some are wild caught, which i have seen many, wild dats in Thailand are virtually extinct in Thailand; i know well as i am there and have had around ten years experience with them. just to let all you guys who are dat fans know that since i haven't been to the states but very happy to see that there are Siamese Tiger Fish fans outside of asia especially Thailand.

Lok Tiger Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2007
Thailand
since i am an avid fan of siamese tigers and have had over 100++ in my past collections, i am more than happy to enlighten you guys on dats especially the wideband, pulcher, or original Thai Siamese Tiger Fish.

i am Thai and have a small club of friends who rear, buy and sell, and compete in fancy Siamese Tigers here and would be more than happy to tell you more about their history and fame here.

Lok Tiger Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2007
Thailand
yeah, they are one of the most sought after fish in japan and korea, some super good looking full grown can command higher prices than alot of arowanas.

Lok Tiger Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2007
Thailand
tigers breed seasonally, which a male and a female in put into a pond with a big cracked jar at the beginning of the year where they mate and lay their egg just before the monsoon arrives.

they are nursed by its mother for around a month before the pond water is sucked out and the babies are further reared in concrete ponds.

Carg R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2006
Texas
Lok Tiger Fish;989798; said:
tigers breed seasonally, which a male and a female in put into a pond with a big cracked jar at the beginning of the year where they mate and lay their egg just before the monsoon arrives.

they are nursed by its mother for around a month before the pond water is sucked out and the babies are further reared in concrete ponds.
Thanks for sharing-do you have any photos of the ponds and like Bogwood said-pictures of you dats?

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
Fish Room Plus;973559; said:
I cant see all these 1" indo being wild caught. I feel there breed. They do alot of differnt things to breed, invetro of sorts, forced removal of sperm/eggs. they get away with much more in SE asia then here
That is all legal here and quiet common. My buddy is a fisheries biologist for the state and has access to the horomones used to make the females gravid. Its actually pretty easy. You give the drug to the females, kill one or two males and take his sperm (one or two is enough for ALOT of females), once the female is full of eggs they are squeezed out and artificially fertilized with the sperm.

We have talked about doing this to some species of tropical fish like dats and pygocentrus piraya, but with out any external signs to tell sex from sex it could get expensive if we killed the wrong sex a few times in a row! :WHOA:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store