Datnoid's stability mystery

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
No, he means that when they are black they are happy. When they colour up and show off their bars is when they are stressed or flexing their muscles... However for the longest time most of my dats were dark but still highly active. I just overhauled my tank, rearranged the rocks and driftwood, and added a ton of fake plants, now all my dats are stable and still very active. Also my temp used to be around 84*F or so, but when I redid the tank I lowered the temp to 78*F, so the temp could effect their stability as well.

Achang

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
Michigan
My dark dats are always happy, but my dat that is suppose to be stable is always hiding !!! These are some very picky and stubbron species !!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I have a few indos in a sixty gallon grow out and they range in size from 2.5 inches to over 4 inches.These guys rarely ever come out of hiding and are unstable most of the time.They do seem to come out early in the day when the lights are off.....or just after a water change lol.Then I have a few others in an almost bare tank with just gravel and one driftwood branch.There is a large widebar in this tank also which I suspect makes the indo and thinbar feel more at ease as they are always stable and active and they travel around the tank with the widebar.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
i stick to my orignal though that IT are stable when they are unhappy or stressed

Reactions: bibboboygun

Swarsh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2011
UK
I personally think it has nothing to do with unhappy/happy.
I have an indo that is fully stable 24/7, I recently moved him to a smaller tank and the tank may not be as "luxurious" but he is still stable.
However its true that maybe when you scare them a little bit (during wc, scrub tank etc.) the unstable dats become stable for a few secs!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
:ROFL:Then I have one that is always pissed off and a group that are in a constant state of bliss.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
OK so you pull a IT out of a tank it goes stable = stress
you put it in a new tank it may stay stable for a few weeks = stress from new tank
when a IT is badly under fed its stable = stress
when a IT gets chased by others its normally the most stable = stress

now give me some examples of how to them stable

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
? I have also seen the opposite in all of those scenarios that you have listed.
how many have you owned

i think not know but think i have had more than you so i know the norm

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store