Datnoids with Cichlids

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Depends on your datnoid. If its the dominate Fish in the tank chances are good it will try to eat or attack any fish introduce into tank. If its mellow youll just have to monitor it.
I'm with this one as a dat could eat a small enough cichlid but most cichlids will grow to a large size much faster than your average datnoid.Then,the bigger cichlid could bully the dat and cause it to go into hiding....That has been my experience with mixing them.

davion2183

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2012
Indonesia
Hmm, currently the smallest cichlid i have are some juvie uaru who are around 2-3 inches. What size should i get my datnoids so i can avoid the chance of them being eaten?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
What other cichlids do you have?I'm not too familiar with uaru but I thought that they were pretty mild mannered,they have small mouths if I remember correctly...To answer your question,I wouldn't want to get a dat that is smaller than two or three inches unless it looked really special.I guess in your case it depends on what is available to you.

davion2183

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2012
Indonesia
Lesse, just sevs n uaru, all juvies n subadult. Oh and a 2-3 inch juvie oscar, and a 3-4 inch geo brasiliensis. Have 2 4 inch raphael cats and synos as well.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
With that group I would think that the Oscar is the only cichlid you'd really have to worry about as it could potentially grow big enough to engulf a dat or just outright bully it..I've never kept severums before.They seem peaceful and I think they have small mouths too.Ive kept geos before and they were peaceful,they stayed on or near the bottom and minded their business.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Currently I have an IT w/ a festae, stalsbergi, and 2 geo brasiliensis. And a severum to act as tank police, some light chasing but no nipping or anything serious. The severum literally comes in when anything starts fighting and the fight stops, the sev is a bit bigger then the rest of em 2. I would like to keep em together as long as I can, I know the geos should be OK for life but I know the festae and stalsbergi will be in danger at one point

In my main tank I have a 3 bar IT and 4 bar classic, it is divided because that 3 bar is too big for the 30 but too small to hang w/ the big boys. On the larger side w/ the bigger 4 bar I have an Orino pbass, the dat chases him sometimes but nothing crazy. Surprisingly the Orino just runs, never fights w/ the dat

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

davion2183

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2012
Indonesia
I see. How bout pearsei, firemouth, syn,fenestratus? I have a friend who keeps these cichlids in his tank. Still juvies though. Would a datz be good 4 his tank?

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
IT dats and geos will not be ok for life. ok now when young, timid and really capable of much destruction. All of a sudden you will find streamers in half or completely missing. Not a smart mix for the long run as most cichlid\dat mixes are not

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store