Debunked: CO2-Myth --- See tanks without carbon dioxide fertilization

Manu8__too

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2013
To each their own......I guess. There are quite a few fish in the tank. However, with how thick the flora is, they are hard to see in the picture. There are 6 Serpaes, plus many more fish.

To counter your comment on fast growth being unhealthy, I beg the differ. Plants aren't mammals, and overlay fast growth is by no means an accelerated path to poor health. Plants grow as fast as their environments allow. When lighting, ferts and co2 all line up at high levels, plants respond with vigorous and lush growth. I'm sure you've heard of Tom Barr. He's a world renowned aquatic plant expert. His tanks are nothing short of stunning. In addition, his articles and forum discussions are almost always centered the importance and benefits of supplemental co2. With all do respect, his knowledge, plants, experience and show tanks blow yours (and mine) out of the water. There is absolutely zero correlation between co2 and "unhealthy" plant growth. Then again, if you're hell bent on preaching the "marketing scam" of co2 in the planted tank, I'd love for you to share your doctrine with Tom himself. I'm sure he has some thoughts on the matter......

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Anyone is welcome to join this debate and give their point of view. That applies to me as the OP as well as you. And I appreciate your passion. And also Tom is welcome to come in if he chooses to join MFK.
I enjoy productive, respectful, factual evidence-based or even crazy discussions in our hobby even in times of disagreement. One might even say I encourage them, and I've been known to change my opinion and happily take good advice or get inspired by members on this board. At the same time, I am not shy to share my own experiences and $0.02. Others can take it or leave it, or engage.

What I don't do, though, is pass the buck and refer to others. I'm my own man with my own thoughts and opinions based on my years in the hobby and my professional education. I'm neither hell-bent nor a preacher. But I also don't follow doctrins or gurus...

As you can tell, my plants are doing just fine and my approach works well for me. I complemented you on your tank, you must've missed that, it's a nice tank.

Not sure what the beef is on a beautiful Sunday morning. Is there any, or are we both in a pre-coffee discussion? ;)

Reactions: Manu8__too

Manu8__too

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2013
Anyone is welcome to join this debate and give their point of view. That applies to me as the OP as well as you. And I appreciate your passion. And also Tom is welcome to come in if he chooses to join MFK.
I enjoy productive, respectful, factual evidence-based or even crazy discussions in our hobby even in times of disagreement. One might even say I encourage them, and I've been known to change my opinion and happily take good advice or get inspired by members on this board. At the same time, I am not shy to share my own experiences and $0.02. Others can take it or leave it, or engage.

What I don't do, though, is pass the buck and refer to others. I'm my own man with my own thoughts and opinions based on my years in the hobby and my professional education. I'm neither hell-bent nor a preacher. But I also don't follow doctrins or gurus...

As you can tell, my plants are doing just fine and my approach works well for me. I complemented you on your tank, you must've missed that, it's a nice tank.

Not sure what the beef is on a beautiful Sunday morning. Is there any, or are we both in a pre-coffee discussion? ;)
Well put and well respected. Yes, I can tell that you're educated and I respect that. I enjoy sharing discussions with others whom are educated and articulate. I too, am a well-educated man. I didn't mean to sound ignorant or rude in my previous post. I do like your tanks and am cognizant of the fact that you clearly know what you're doing in the hobby. We each have a different stance, and that's what makes us who we are. As for the coffee, I was out of my Verissmo pods this morning and had to make a Starbucks run.......lol. It is a beautiful Sunday and we should certainly enjoy it. -Regards

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
I was out, too.
Grabbed a dark roast at Panera when I picked up bagels :)
Have a good one as well.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I just want to chime into this disscusion a little bit...

From my own experience, it definitely seems some plants can adjust from running with Co2 to not running with it...

In my case, my 60G planted tank was running Co2 for a few years till i one day i ran out and had to move one bottle over to the other tank...

Since then (over a year ago now) i havent run any Co2 in the 60G and while most of my plants seem to be doing quite well, my Dwarf Hairgrass has been suffering a slow death...

So i think it does really come down to the type of plant you are dealing with...

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Great point and example, thanks!
It actually is totally in line with my #1 reco in the very beginning of this thread: try out different plant species for your tank. Some work, others won't.

The reason why your hairgrass died might have indeed been lack of the nutrient CO2. I obviously don't know your water chemistry, but it might also have been due to pH. After all, CO2 moves pH more into the lightly acidic side, which hairgrass favors. After cessation, it might have been less favorable.

There are many factors, and I'm glad you shared your experience. Thanks

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ thanks for that info...

As for my water chemistry, i can say with lots of DW in the tank, and it being quite well aged, the PH hovers at around 6 even without Co2, then again, over here we have quite soft water with a fairly neutral PH, so getting it to drop naturally isnt hard :)

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Here is a quick pic of the tank for reference ;)

The open area in the middle was once covered with HG...

image.jpeg

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Very nice tank.
Looks like you've got the ADA substrate?

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ Thanks :)

Yeah, this tank is using ADA substrate...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store