Did something stupid - new Gator gar. How long can I enjoy him?

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
I have 2 gators got them at under 2 inches and one year later they were 26 and 23 inches

Craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap. So that gives me somewhere between 24-48 before he outgrows my tank

Seriously though, is that growth rate common, or are your fish on steroids and HGH?

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap. So that gives me somewhere between 24-48 before he outgrows my tank

Seriously though, is that growth rate common, or are your fish on steroids and HGH?
Thats pretty common growth

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Wouldn't the Florida gar outgrow your tank also? Don't they get to about the same size?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Not even vaguely the same size. A FL could get a little tight in a 180 but it wouldn't be the worst thing ever.

And for the OP, "nippy" is not the right word for a gator. All gars are skittish, especially at small sizes. But when I briefly had a gator, I got rid of it when I had to pull an adonis pleco that was wider than it was out of its mouth.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
So they're that aggressive when it comes to feeding? Great. Well, this will be interesting. Wonder who he chomps onto first.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

pcpolo111

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2005
Florida
I think the saying is "don't put anything with an alligator gar you mind losing" and that's pretty accurate, I have lost anything I put with mine even catfish with hiding places

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fish squish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
United States
I picked up a gator a little while ago, he was tiny and adorable. About 3.5 inches.. he grew to 11 inches in 6-8 weeks. It was ridiculous how much he would eat and grow! Unfortunately he broke his back and had to be euthanized as he was doing poorly. I wouldn't get too attached, they're monsters and supposed to grow fast, climbing the food chain!

fish squish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
United States
They also like to tackle large prey items, mine would go for the biggest goldfish it could find while the Florida would look for smaller, bite sized fish. He actually had a 3" BGK in his mouth at the time of purchase..

On another note, although they could be considered "aggressive" I'd say they're more predatory than anything. You have three fish that are all pretty tough, so I wouldn't worry about him harming them until he gets huge - at which point you'd want to rehome him anyway.

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
Nice

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store