Dirted tank

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Taking a stab at setting up a dirted tank. 10 gallons.

This will be my third attempt at a planted tank.

This is what it looked like last night.
image.jpeg

I did a 100% change about an hour ago and it's about half that murky now. I'll do another water change later today.

I'll post updates in this thread.

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
When setting up a dirted tank it's vital to add a cap layer, I'll explain...

I normally go the fluorite route when it comes to planted tanks, however in the last 3 years I've gotten more in depth with going the mineralied topsoil route. Mineralized Topsoil is where I'll go with multiple soaking then drying of the topsoil, normally 4-5 times I soak in water for 24-48 hours, then dump the water and then layout the topsoil on a tarp for 3-4 days to completely dry, this method brings out the nutrients to be immediately available to the plants.

So I normally go with 2"-3" of mineralized topsoil and cap it with 1/4" of play sand or gravel depending on the look I'm going for with the tank. The cap stops any dirt from rising in the water, this way you don't end up with a tank of muddy water.

Here's my 30 gallon long tank 30"x12"x16", it's setup using mineralized topsoil with flourite as a cap.

Reactions: convict360

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx thank you, thank you for the information. This is the benefit of joining in with other members.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
When setting up a dirted tank it's vital to add a cap layer, I'll explain...

I normally go the fluorite route when it comes to planted tanks, however in the last 3 years I've gotten more in depth with going the mineralied topsoil route. Mineralized Topsoil is where I'll go with multiple soaking then drying of the topsoil, normally 4-5 times I soak in water for 24-48 hours, then dump the water and then layout the topsoil on a tarp for 3-4 days to completely dry, this method brings out the nutrients to be immediately available to the plants.

So I normally go with 2"-3" of mineralized topsoil and cap it with 1/4" of play sand or gravel depending on the look I'm going for with the tank. The cap stops any dirt from rising in the water, this way you don't end up with a tank of muddy water.

Here's my 30 gallon long tank 30"x12"x16", it's setup using mineralized topsoil with flourite as a cap.
Thanks. I filled it up about 2" and realized I needed a cap lol. So I tried to drain as much of the water as I could then I added a top layer of sand. It's not that dark at all now. I've changed the water twice and it's really cleared up. A lot of the surface debris has sunk too.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
The tank looks a lot better now. I used sand because I'm gonna put Cory cats in there.

Looking forward to putting some plants in it.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Update. Soil is still release a ton of tannins into the tank. I do a 100% change and 24 hours later the water is as dark as syrup lol.

Manu8__too

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2013
It will probably take a while to clear up in regards to tannins. You could try running some Purigen to clear the water column. What type of lights are you going to run, co2, ferts etc?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store