DIY Acrylic 6x4 (pic intense)

Psylant

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Canada
Awesome work Scott. Really inspiring! I really like what you did with your lids, they look great. Which "proper tools" would you be referring to?

The only potential problem that I could see happening was in regards to your lids. I see that you have stocked the tank with an Aro, and I have heard they're quite the jumpers. I see that your clear acrylic hangs lower than your black acrylic and if the Aro were to potentially jump, do you think it would damage itself on the clear acrylic edge?

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
Awesome work Scott. Really inspiring! I really like what you did with your lids, they look great. Which "proper tools" would you be referring to?

The only potential problem that I could see happening was in regards to your lids. I see that you have stocked the tank with an Aro, and I have heard they're quite the jumpers. I see that your clear acrylic hangs lower than your black acrylic and if the Aro were to potentially jump, do you think it would damage itself on the clear acrylic edge?
Proper tools would be a table to get it off the ground, a router table, clamps, and jigs to make sure every side is perfect. The way the lids set is even with the top sheet that has the cut outs. The lids are heavier than I would like, but cost effective. The aro will learn the hard way if he jumps :) hope he's a quick learner.

Bonzo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2007
CA
dang, what kind of bad ass build his/her own acrylic tank? Awesome job!!!!!!

Arowanasc2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2011
Vancouver
Sweet build! I am thinking of doing one with your exact same dimensions 6x4x2. What size were the sheets you bought? I'm assuming they were 8x4, which makes me wonder why you needed a fourth sheet.

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
Fantastic Job there Mr. Scott! ;)

I was wondering abuot the cost of the Acrylic. Was the $300 shipped or picked up by yourself?

What company made it and what are recommendatios for shopping for Acrylic? Locally Distrubuted I presume?
I picked it up myself (yes it was local). Shop around. you need cast acrylic only and I would recommend having them cut it to your dimentions (if they do precision cuts). Be sure to measure the dimentions when you pick it up.
I read your question about replacing a front panel on an acrylic tank...it would be very difficult but maybe not impossible. If you can get it cheap enough to take a chance. Removing the panel would be the hard part. Maybe someone here has some experiance on how to do that. Once it's off, the edges would need prepped (flat and smooth). There are different ways to do that...I prefer a router. A router table may work if you have a couple people to help. It would deffinitely be a job. Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store