Feb 12, 2006
washington
I am building one today to go on my new SW tank

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
i made one today, do anyone elses vent tube make a gurgle noise?
mine did, but I capped the open stand pipe and drilled a small hole in the cap. I can barely hear it now :grinyes:
You may even be able to silence it by stuffing a sponge in the tube, just make sure it can still breathe.

60mm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2006
va
i just capped it, what is that pipe for anyway?
i just put it on due to the pics.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
Its a vent tube, lets it flow better.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
i just capped it, what is that pipe for anyway?
i just put it on due to the pics.
it is for when your power goes out. The whole idea is to restart when the power turns on again. If the vent is capped, it will syphon all of the water out of the overflow.

The gurgling noise could be from a number of things but is probably because your down tube is syphoning too quiclky and pulling in air from the vent. Buy a ball valve ($2-$5) and put it on the lower end of your system. Use it to throttle down the syphoning speed.

Unplug your entire system to simmulate a power outage and then plug it all back in to check for restarts. There should be zero overflows (water on your floor) and 100% restarts without your help.

beex215

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2006
usa
i am going to make 1 really soon.juss doing sum research on pvc flowrates and mag drive prices.

i will most likely be back for sum questioning if it arises

jellyfish420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2006
stl
can someone please explain how this thing doesn't loose siphon? how does this work, this looks way easier and cheaper than building an acrylic overflow.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
It doesnt lose its siphion because after it is primed the water is trapped in the "u". It will have no where to go untill water starts flowing again. It does work I have 2 of them right now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store