DIY Plywood 1200Gallon -Officialy Started

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
I have used 80mm screws on every assemble on the stand and the walls. On the boards i use 40mm to assemble to the 2\4s.. I also doubled the 2\4 arond the whole tank where the walls are, and to assemble the walls to the floor i used 100mm screws that goes through the board and down in the 2\4 under the board.

Maxime

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2011
Canada eh!
I've always wonder why people who build these custom tanks prefer to lose so much real estate by building such large stands. Why not build a simple supporting frame on the floor (maybe 4-6 inch inches) and then build the tank right on top of it. You would gain a lot 1-2 feet of water dept in the tank.

Maybe there is a very valid reason for it. I don't know.

I'll be reading this tread closely. This build is very interesting. :)

Vidar-Alexander

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
Sauda/ Norway
Glas thicknes is the reason. Tanks over 100 cm hight, need very thick glas, or ackrylic glas. And that is not cheep.
Light is also a ploblem when a thank is more than 90-100 cm high. ;)

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
I built it this way becouse i dont like floor tanks, i need the space under, not over :) Simple as that.. There is 70cm from floor to first playwood, so i can simple put in a 180 gallon sump under, or a raytank tank for pups after breeding etc, and have it all on the same system.. I would not have built the tank any higher even if i were closer to the floor, exactley becouse of the stuff Vidar A already said :)

But hey, pics? 1 pic of what is done today, and some of the room in its whole.Wops? Some beers while building is a big motivation factor btw, when i finish that wall, its beertime, it works, youst try yourselfe ;)

IMG_1629_resize.JPG

IMG_1619_resize.JPG

IMG_1622_resize.JPG

IMG_1623_resize.JPG

IMG_1624_resize.JPG

IMG_1628_resize.JPG

Reactions: Hendre

littlewangzfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2010
Guam
I'm watching you...;)

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
This is genius. Having a secret hiding spot behind the tank so that the wife and kids can't find you. If there is enough room back there for a mini fridge and a chair, I don't think I'd ever leave.

BadOleRoss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Virginia
I like the progress so far but I think you are going to get tired of crawling under the tank to get to the filtration behind it. Is there an ajoining room that you can add a doorway to get to the area behind the tank? What are you going to use to seal the tank? OSB and moisture dont get along real well so you are really going to insullate the OSB from the water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store