Does anyone else's Florida Gar do this??

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
nishant_datta;863556; said:
mine used to behave like this.....so i would just turn off the light and back away from the tank........
that doesnt work w/ this fish...i have tried all of the simple destressing methods. there has to be something more going on.

frnchjeep

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2006
Ct
My catfish (pim) used to do this. He was in a 90 gal. at the time, and 17 inches long. When I upgraded to a 220, he stopped doing it. I always thought that he was claustropbic, because he stopped doing it in the new tank. How big is the gar? Might be a possibility.:)

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
i tested the ammonia level. it says 0.25 ppm.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
demjor19;863931; said:
i tested the ammonia level. it says 0.25 ppm.
there should be no ammonia reading in a well-established tank...i would increase water changes and make sure you aren't over-stocked. ammo should always be zero, as should nitrites. nitrate readings ok ok as water changes/live plants will reduce these--
--solomon

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
E_americanus;863944; said:
there should be no ammonia reading in a well-established tank...i would increase water changes and make sure you aren't over-stocked. ammo should always be zero, as should nitrites. nitrate readings ok ok as water changes/live plants will reduce these--
--solomon
As stated above...
I strongly suspect Ammonia being your problem. Definitly up the water changes and look at either decreasing the bioload in the tank or increasing the biological filtration.

Sorry if you all ready said this but how long has the tank been set up?

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
I have had it set up in my new house for about a month. I had it set up at my old apartment but I couldn't bring a lot of water with me. Most of his life he has had the tank all to himself. I just recently added in some crappie to see if having tankmates would calm him down.

I just did a 50% water change and ammonia is reading right around zero. As of now he is still working on breaking his neck.

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
Crazy Taco;864435; said:
did you try the bubbler?
:nilly: yup that did it...why didnt i think of that?

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
demjor19;864284; said:
I have had it set up in my new house for about a month. I had it set up at my old apartment but I couldn't bring a lot of water with me. Most of his life he has had the tank all to himself. I just recently added in some crappie to see if having tankmates would calm him down.

I just did a 50% water change and ammonia is reading right around zero. As of now he is still working on breaking his neck.
I would not expect the fish to make a quick turn around in behavior just yet..Give it a bit of time. Until then monitor the ammonia.

Hopefully this is the issue if it is not and your fish is just determined to do this, I really do not know what to do about that..I have had Longnosed that would never stop doing this and just wound up mangling themselves. They usually relaxed after a bit but would easily just start up again for no reason.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store