Doing my head in

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I moved my convict cichlid into my downstairs tank with blood parrot and dithers a couple of days ago, and my parrot has been chasing non-stop whenever the convict enters line of sight.

Ordinarily, I'd be the first to recommend moving decor around etc; in order to reset territories, and in this case I moved a little, but fear it wasn't enough to produce the desired effect.

Given that I am getting rather annoyed at seeing my parrot constantly dive bomb the convict and panic the other inhabitants, I'm wondering if dramatically changing the decor might help the convict get a bit of attitude back to him, help him defend himself; even though it's been a couple of days...

He's so far taken to running and hiding, despite being a stocky little dude, more than capable of standing up the the BP...

Anyone have thoughts on this? No damage has been done either way, but I won't let it continue like that, its ruining my Zen lol

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
You need more fish to redirect the aggression - add a few more fish and the BP won't be able to decide which ones to chase....not dithers, I mean more cichlids. How many depends on the tank size, but in my experience, anytime 2-3 fish are constantly quarreling, adding a few more seems to break-up and distribute the aggression.

Remember the phrase "The only solution to pollution is dilution"? It's not just referring to water quality....you have to dilute the aggression too.

You can try adding more caves as well, and turning the thermostat down a bit could help too.

Reactions: Skalper666

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
You need more fish to redirect the aggression - add a few more fish and the BP won't be able to decide which ones to chase....not dithers, I mean more cichlids. How many depends on the tank size, but in my experience, anytime 2-3 fish are constantly quarreling, adding a few more seems to break-up and distribute the aggression.

Remember the phrase "The only solution to pollution is dilution"? It's not just referring to water quality....you have to dilute the aggression too.
Interesting point. The trouble I think is the tank as well, even though it's a 90 gallon; the corner shape offers crap footprint for cichlids, bit of a bug bear lol

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Interesting point. The trouble I think is the tank as well, even though it's a 90 gallon; the corner shape offers crap footprint for cichlids, bit of a bug bear lol
More than enough room for a BP and a Convict, IMO. My friend's 60-corner is "huge" to me just cuz of the shape and dimensions, but you got an extra 30 gallons - what are your dimensions...I've only seen standard 90 gallons - 48 x 18 x 24 (?)

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
More than enough room for a BP and a Convict, IMO. My friend's 60-corner is "huge" to me just cuz of the shape and dimensions, but you got an extra 30 gallons - what are your dimensions...I've only seen standard 90 gallons - 48 x 18 x 24 (?)
It's 48 side to side. From the back corner, it sweeps round in a quarter circle length 34 inches, if that makes sense. Height is 24 inches

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
sounds like u got plenty more room. You've been a good boy, I give you permission to go to the store and buy some fish :p
Ha! Not happening, need money for fish lol; I'm just kind of maintaining that tank anyway, by moving the convict in there it let me break down another tank I really don't need lol

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Ha! Not happening, need money for fish lol; I'm just kind of maintaining that tank anyway, by moving the convict in there it let me break down another tank I really don't need lol
Since when does "having tanks" have anything to do with "need"?

I only NEED 1 tank, but I have 7 and I'm working on 8,9,and 10 soon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store