Dovii Diet Discussion Thread

balton777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2007
Rowlett, Tx
Chaitika;3128140; said:
Well, my boy just ate about 25 massivore pellets, so I know he likes those. :) I'd like to get him on shrimp too, since I'm already buying it by the box for other fish.
Wow that's a lot of Massivore. Mine takes about 12-16 every other day. He's such a messy eater though. Did a lot of debris come out of yours' gills?

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
My Dovii will make a total mess out of NLS (spits through his gills), but accepts Omega one very willingly. He also LOVES raw market shrimp...they don't even touch the water and they are gone!

Reactions: BichirMohawk

Chaitika

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2007
Back in action!
balton777;3128306; said:
Wow that's a lot of Massivore. Mine takes about 12-16 every other day. He's such a messy eater though. Did a lot of debris come out of yours' gills?
Not too bad.

He also eats NLS wafers. :) I bought a tub of these for my bichirs so if he eats them as well, bonus. :)

thatone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
I feed mine cut fish, nightcrawlers, freeze dried krill, and Hikari Gold. I have also found Dovii to be rather picky once they reach the 8-10" range. I also believe competition to be a stimulant to feeding but it is difficult to find fish that will last a long time with Dovii.

greenterra

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
My guy eats the Massivore as his staple but will take Hikari Gold when offered.Mine actually makes more mess with the Gold then the Massivore. He will take meal worms, earth worms and small skinks with gusto but is picky now with raw prawn/shrimp.

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
mine is about 4.5" now and has been eating kensfish sinking pellets, a combo of hikari gold and kensfish cichlid floating pellets, beefheart, red worms and freeze dried krill.

:)

balton777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2007
Rowlett, Tx
Ryanmahe;3127981; said:
ive had a tough time to get adult cichlids (including dovii) to take more than 1 or 2 kinds of food. When I had my dovii, all he would eat is hikari gold, gave all kinds of stuff and he wouldnt touch it. Still had great colour and was healthy though.

thatone;3128522; said:
I feed mine cut fish, nightcrawlers, freeze dried krill, and Hikari Gold. I have also found Dovii to be rather picky once they reach the 8-10" range. I also believe competition to be a stimulant to feeding but it is difficult to find fish that will last a long time with Dovii.
He was eating two kinds of NLS pellets, two kinds of Hikari, market shrimp, mysis shrimp, krill and earthworms. Mine's about 13" now and he started his finicky eating around the 12" mark.

It could be a lack of competition. It was around 12" that I had to start taking out the other cichlids for their safety.

Or maybe, as with Ryanmahe's experience, it could be a natural phenomenon. Maybe as adults, they don't need as much variety and nutrition as a growing juvenile and that's when their appetite for anything and everything drops off. Just an idea...:confused:

Piranhas and Cichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2009
Bowie MD
I definitely agree that they eat better with tankmates. All mine have tankmates right now and eat whatever I put in the tank. My previous monster male would eat Hikari gold and Tetra Cichlid sticks with no problem, as well as feeder goldfish here and there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store