Dovii Diet Discussion Thread

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
balton777;3129726; said:
Yours is still taking a variety. How big is he now?
Just over 10" now and he still constantly begs for food.

He also tries for any spiders or moths that get on the glass hood of his tank. I can't think of anything that he has ever turned down.

balton777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2007
Rowlett, Tx
I'm still not sure if it's his size and age that's killed his voracious appetite or lack of tankmates. Actually he still has 17 tankmates but only one other cichlid.

timeneverfreezes

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2008
charlotte,nc
I might be late to the thread but I have another case of a picky dovii over 12"

Mine seems to like certain things but gets tired of them. Case in point he wolfed down massivore and night crawlers for a while until he just seemed to lose interest. Ok, then I ran out of massivore and its freaking expensive!

I know of a few members that feed their large cichlids live feeders every few weeks. Is it possible that a treat like that combined with varied food offerings and competition get them on a healthy and sustainable diet?

All I want is a 20"+ Dovii, how am I supposed to realize my dreams when he is so picky and wont eat!

jordanlewis100

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2006
Kent,UK
defrosted whole fish is the best along with the pellets

CubanB

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2008
Perth, Western Australia
My dovii's can be picky with pellets because i like to treat them with raw prawns, fish and meal worms. if i don't feed them for a couple of days though they will take hikari gold quite easily. i've found that they really dislike NLS pellets, however my umbees and all my CA community fish love it

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
My Dovii will only surface feed on Tetra Reptomin aka Turtle sticks other than that massivore and the occasional real fish from imitation crabmeat but he turns his nose up to both the fish and reptomin on any given day only massivore is a given - my Dovii's pushin' almost 8".

mbunafishkeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2007
Bristol (UK)
i feed my dovii a mixture, of hikari cichlid gold as a baseline to his diet, with other foods such as NLS and bloodworms, shrimp, earth worms etc..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store