Dovii going nuts smashing into walls help

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I did have a jag that would just freak if I approached the tank with a hat on, bolting every ware, banging on everything, i approached with out the hat no problem, hat on fish freak out.

Reactions: axs377

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
No I have no filter on the drip. Been running this way for 6 months. Could that be the problem? Parameters otherwise are fine.
If you have tap water you are constantly adding chlorine or chloramine to the water. This can be vary from mild (low drip, low chlorine content) to very bad. (high drip and high chloramine content) Look into an HMA filter from thefilterguys

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
20ppm is water change time in my world, but certainly nothing to cause fish to wig. again just an aggressive juvie dovii. add the decor and keep the lights off and see what happens.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I did have a jag that would just freak if I approached the tank with a hat on, bolting every ware, banging on everything, i approached with out the hat no problem, hat on fish freak out.
You must have looked like a big catfish to him, ;)

I had a chealsus that was hand fed unless you wore red then he totally flipped out like a jumping bean

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
No I have no filter on the drip. Been running this way for 6 months. Could that be the problem? Parameters otherwise are fine.
I don't know if it's "the" problem, but it most certainly is "a" problem. You don't want to drip tap water with chlorine/chloramine into your tank, do you? Filter that out, man. Call the filter guys, get a carbon block filter for chlorine, and a chlorine/chloramine test kit. Change out the filter cartridges every 3 months.

I don't know if it's causing your fish to act up, but the best water quality possible is always a good idea.

Torchia32

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
California
I don't know if it's "the" problem, but it most certainly is "a" problem. You don't want to drip tap water with chlorine/chloramine into your tank, do you? Filter that out, man. Call the filter guys, get a carbon block filter for chlorine, and a chlorine/chloramine test kit. Change out the filter cartridges every 3 months.

I don't know if it's causing your fish to act up, but the best water quality possible is always a good idea.
Ok thanks. Is there a link to the filter I need?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
They have a 2 stage on their website, but I have the 3 stage. Their website is at http://www.thefilterguys.biz/

Their phone number is on the very bottom of the page. Call down there and ask for Jim--he's totally cool. Tell him all about your tank--he'll probably like that you have a Dovii. He'll tell you what to get, how much to drip, all about filtration. We talked a half hour about fish diseases we had seen in our tanks. He's like that. They send you "regulators" that drip 40 or 60 gallons per day--just slip em on the hose. Nothing to it.

OH! And get the chloramine test kit, too. It's cheap, and it's nice to be able to test to see if you really do/don't have chlorine/chloramine in a water sample.

Reactions: DBLN8

Torchia32

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
California
They have a 2 stage on their website, but I have the 3 stage. Their website is at http://www.thefilterguys.biz/

Their phone number is on the very bottom of the page. Call down there and ask for Jim--he's totally cool. Tell him all about your tank--he'll probably like that you have a Dovii. He'll tell you what to get, how much to drip, all about filtration. We talked a half hour about fish diseases we had seen in our tanks. He's like that. They send you "regulators" that drip 40 or 60 gallons per day--just slip em on the hose. Nothing to it.

OH! And get the chloramine test kit, too. It's cheap, and it's nice to be able to test to see if you really do/don't have chlorine/chloramine in a water sample.
Thanks bud!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store