Draining tank with gravel vacuum without a python/aqueon?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
My python fits a garden hose fine. What type of gravel vac do you have?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2010
Colorado, USA
Just some PetSmart oval suction tube one. I forge the tube diameter but bought a section of it from Home Depot to extend what I have now but it was cheap thin-walled stuff that is too restrictive to get a good flow going these days.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
python, there is no = everything else has thin walled tubing that collapses and kinks.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Spend the.money on the python you wont regret it or you switch your substrate to pool filter sand it would be even easier

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Just cut a small piece of tubing off the end and go into your local home depot or lowes. They have spools of different dia tubing

swifty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2013
California
Just cut a small piece of tubing off the end and go into your local home depot or lowes. They have spools of different dia tubing
Yeah, I did that today. Home depot had 20' of vinyl tubing. I did a w/c earlier and it was pretty damn easy. I just let it sit there draining while I did something else. The only thing is it doesnt have as much suction power because of the longer length, but I can live with that.

Jer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2010
Colorado, USA
Yeah, I did that today. Home depot had 20' of vinyl tubing. I did a w/c earlier and it was pretty damn easy. I just let it sit there draining while I did something else. The only thing is it doesnt have as much suction power because of the longer length, but I can live with that.
This is what I did a couple of years ago and over time this tubing will cave, kink & grow vegetation. Whatever speed it's draining now... well.. it's not going to get any faster. Take it from me. That's why I'm trying to find out about an adapter to try something different because my drains take 4x longer now than when I first bought the tube.

swifty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2013
California
This is what I did a couple of years ago and over time this tubing will cave, kink & grow vegetation. Whatever speed it's draining now... well.. it's not going to get any faster. Take it from me. That's why I'm trying to find out about an adapter to try something different because my drains take 4x longer now than when I first bought the tube.
Ah well. I had sort of figured that. It was only $7 though so if it turns out it gets really bad then I'll either just get another or try a garden hose. I seen a few attachments that looked like I could connect the vinyl tubing to the garden hose, so I can try that next. Or just go back to the buckets.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Why not usr a python?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store