Draining tank with gravel vacuum without a python/aqueon?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
You guys always make it sound so easy to drain water :). I just siphon tank water into a few (3) five gallon buckets and then dump them off my deck. It sucks but not one faucet in my house is compatible with a python.

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
You guys always make it sound so easy to drain water :). I just siphon tank water into a few (3) five gallon buckets and then dump them off my deck. It sucks but not one faucet in my house is compatible with a python.
So change out a faucet or find an adapter. I change over 200 gallons a week. That's 80+ buckets a week including refills. I use a 1.25 id vinyl hose for draining and aqueon for filling. I can drain my 225 in 5 mins

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Python universal adapter on amazon for like 7 bucks....compatible with garden hose. The rubber end would fit over the male end of the faucet then screwed onto either a garden hose or python.... cannot imagine using buckets

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

swifty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2013
California
I see. So the thicker the tubing, wider diameter the vacuum hose, and greater distance in height from the tank to the end of hose all factor into the drain speed?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store