Dreams of Starting 10 g. Micro reef.

KenyanSandBoa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2007
Massachusetts
Nice setup Rakie!!

I think your description covers all of the bases. The use of a AC for a fuge will work wonders...you can even get a decent amount of copepods to grow in that sort of environment.

You can definitley get away with more than you think. The main reason the lfs is against it is probably because they aren't making big money by selling you a ton of equipment.:D

The one thing I would add (I appologize if this was mentioned...I may have missed it) is a basic, home made drip system...just to keep the proper trace elements in the tank, because it can drop pretty quickly. You can make these from something as simple as a 20 oz. water bottle.

Max

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2006
tn
Also, I'd add an auto top off system to help keep your s.g. from having major swings. If you could do a 20 gal you'd be better off you could have maybe 3 small fish along with your corals. Most of the expense etc. is taken up by the lighting etc. so it won't cost much more if you have the room. There are a lot of really cool inverts out there.

Rakie

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2007
So Cal
A refractometer is a good recommendation. As far as the fish go, a lot of people overlook the small goby.

This 2.5 gallon (no sump or fuge) is mostly full of zoo's, a few rics and some monti caps (That actually grow well) Colors aren't that bright because this guy uses a 12k and 7.7k bulb, so its yellow/white but thats how he likes it.

There are 5 goby in this tank, each fish has a max size of 1" and in the wild they are believed to occupy no more then 6 square inches of space throughout their entire life, until its time to mate.

This little tank really inspires me.

Also, its stocked the long way, looking into the tank from the side. Really cool.

Darky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
AUSTRALIA
Im thinking of getting a clown for a 10G Ive got lying around...Im really excited :p

Carg R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2006
Texas
I knew your "project" wasn't what us locals suggested.

I'll have to come over and learn from your experience once it's up and running. Then I'll put that light I've got to some good use.

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
Carg R;1159711; said:
I knew your "project" wasn't what us locals suggested.

I'll have to come over and learn from your experience once it's up and running. Then I'll put that light I've got to some good use.

WOW!! :D How did you find it this thread is a week old and on this site that means.. Centuries ago lost like atlantis!!! :D

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
Well I already have a free tank and fixtures and have the salt.. Plus I knwo exactly how those nanos work and am unwilling to pay for something I already have :(

It is a good idea though :) I just like building from the ground up :) Curse of the DIY bug :D

Thanks for the suggestion.:)

Carg R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2006
Texas
Tongue33;1106233; said:
Please be nice as I really do not want to deal with the CHILDREN on the site and will ask if I am offended, to have the offending posts removed.

WOW!! How did you find it this thread is a week old and on this site that means.. Centuries ago lost like atlantis!!!

Thanks guys !!!

I've began looking into setting up a salt water tank as well. It started when I checked out my brother's friend's salt water 750 gallon + 180gal sump out in Saratoga Springs.

I've got an empty 20 gallon long, stand, and a filter somewhere. Oh yeah a light that when I asked about it on the local salt water site witin 2 minutes someone asked if I was selling it, because I mentioned I was into fresh & didn't know much about the light.

So I began to ask questions like 'what's the difference between salt & fresh setup wise?' And I like to get my answers from familiar places (MFK).

That's how I found your thread, when will you post pics of your new set up?

And when you mention dealing with children and asking if you are offended :ROFL: :nilly: :ROFL: I couldn't help myself.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store