MFK Member
Jan 1, 2021
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
21-30%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hello, I have two 3 inch EBAs whose health has plummeted in the past two days. All other fish appear normal.

75 gallon tank, sand substrate, 78 degrees. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 20 nitrate and ph 7.8.
2x EBA, 1 heckelii, 1 severum, 1 BGK, 7 Congo tetras, 1 jewel cichlid. All are juveniles except the jewel.

Two days ago I added a jewel cichlid that a family friend needed to rehome immediately. This is the only major change. I have not observed any violence but I found several blue scales in the substrate while doing a 30% water change yesterday (with same temp water, dosed with API Stress Coat).

The following day I saw a white, lump-like protrusion near the pectoral fin of one of the EBAs (pics attached). It hung out mostly stationary near the surface, where it had been actively swimming around the tank previously. The other EBA was behaving normally. Today, both EBAs would barely move, hid in caves and behind the sponge filters, and one of them refused to eat. As the day went on I saw them bottom sitting and rapidly breathing. As the day went on I saw both fish listing and wavering in place like they couldn’t hold themselves up.

I’ve moved the two EBAs to a cycled quarantine tank. What could have caused these two to react so poorly but all other fish are fine? I desperately don’t want to lose them (of course).

I am new to this hobby. This is my first large tank. I cycled it completely before stocking and have monitored the parameters every day.

0528F1F7-BBE6-44C6-B506-F35E0F39864F.jpeg

4E4C65D8-0A2C-4AA6-AD51-7368078C1A41.jpeg

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Seems like stress. I’ve seen this happen to plenty of cichlids, the jewel is likely beating on them, there isn’t always visible damage. Their colors are also very dark, another sign of stress.
Best bet for now is to find a way to keep the jewel away from them.
Another concern is that all of those fish come from areas with ph of 6-7, and would probably benefit from you dropping the ph.

KrazoaSpirit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2021
Seems like stress. I’ve seen this happen to plenty of cichlids, the jewel is likely beating on them, there isn’t always visible damage. Their colors are also very dark, another sign of stress.
Best bet for now is to find a way to keep the jewel away from them.
Another concern is that all of those fish come from areas with ph of 6-7, and would probably benefit from you dropping the ph.
Thanks for your insight. I had bought Indian almond leaves in case the ph were to become a problem. If someone knows a better way please let me know ?

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thanks for your insight. I had bought Indian almond leaves in case the ph were to become a problem. If someone knows a better way please let me know ?
I suggest to rehome either the Jewel or the juvenile EBA. Agree with Deadeye Deadeye about the EBA'S being stressed.

KrazoaSpirit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2021
An update:

One of the EBAs died the following night. The other has been showing signs of intense distress in quarantine. It spends a lot of time bottom sitting or swimming idly, but every now and then it swims rapidly around the tank, smashing into the sides, bottom and lid, then sliding around disoriented. I took a video but I’m not sure it can be attached here?

Is this behavior still likely related to stress from the jewel? Can I help this poor guy somehow?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
An update:

One of the EBAs died the following night. The other has been showing signs of intense distress in quarantine. It spends a lot of time bottom sitting or swimming idly, but every now and then it swims rapidly around the tank, smashing into the sides, bottom and lid, then sliding around disoriented. I took a video but I’m not sure it can be attached here?

Is this behavior still likely related to stress from the jewel? Can I help this poor guy somehow?
Yes absolutely some species of fish can't tolerate harassment and being bullied and get stressed and become ill.

Reactions: Fishnerd360

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I’ve seen plenty of cichlids die after mild harassment, and some go on even after near-fatal injury. It’s all in the individual fish.

Reactions: tlindsey

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
So sad. Thank you for responding
How is your quarantine setup? To reduce stress I use fake lily pads up top to 'shade off' lighting. Then I keep bunched up fake plants for them to hide behind/under. I've also found air stones help calm fish! I also put a background up (cardboard, dark paper, fabric). With some fish I've had to cover the sides too. I also use a thin skim of sand on the bottom, glossy bare bottom tanks are stressful with reflections.

any kind of fake floating silk plant will work if you don't have the lily pads.

Reactions: KrazoaSpirit
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store