EBJD Breeding

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
It's been a month now since I first tried introducing my new bgjd female in my breeding program. She has healed nicely but has some pretty wicked scaring. 2 weeks ago I put her back in with the male ebjd with a divider separating them. Now last night I setup a new 55g tank, redecorated, re-introduced the male and female added a dither fish for the first night. All is well now. Here's the new setup.

Sent from my DROID X2 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jillfishie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
USA
It's been a month now since I first tried introducing my new bgjd female in my breeding program. She has healed nicely but has some pretty wicked scaring. 2 weeks ago I put her back in with the male ebjd with a divider separating them. Now last night I setup a new 55g tank, redecorated, re-introduced the male and female added a dither fish for the first night. All is well now. Here's the new setup.

Bktgifridays
Hi...
I'm glad to see you back @ it & congrats on the new tank (It looks GREAT) :)

Your EBJD is looking good & so is the Gold JD you used as a dither.
Good choice in moving him out & only keeping the (2) JD's you want to pair up.
A dither is still a very good & effective way to get the (2) dempsey's to pair up.
But you want to use a fish that's O.k. to beat up on like a pair of large Mollies.
You only need to use them to establish a bond with the (2) JD's.
Give this a shot & keep us updated with your progress...

Good Luck
-Jill :)

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
Thanks Jill! I'll be picking up something from the LFS after work for a more appropriate dither fish. And as for the gold jd, from the pic could you tell what sex it is?

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
I was hesitant about posting pics of my poor bgjd female because I'm slightly embarrassed about what I let happen to her. But here she is pretty much healed up but still missing most of her once glorious tail.

Jillfishie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
USA
Thanks Jill! I'll be picking up something from the LFS after work for a more appropriate dither fish. And as for the gold jd, from the pic could you tell what sex it is?

From the pic you post your Gold looks male, but if you have a chance post a few more & I'll help you ID more accurately.

I was hesitant about posting pics of my poor bgjd female because I'm slightly embarrassed about what I let happen to her. But here she is pretty much healed up but still missing most of her once glorious tail.

Don't worry...
She's alive & looks like she's healing pretty good.
Just remember not to introduce a fish to a new set of parents. You're really lucky she came out of it alive.

While you're out getting your new dithers today you could pick up some frozen live food to help you get these two paired up.
example (Bloodworms) ;)

-Jill :)

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
Thanks, and I have Just about every frozen food out there in my freezer. I prefer feeding that over flake or pellets. And I'll probably do some eartworm hunting tonight! That always seems to get them going!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store