EBJD coloring

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern North Carolina
It's not EBJD, its look more like a blue gene JD.
That's funny? The electric blue is the recessive trait and therefore the Blue Gene Jack Dempsey will, for the most part, look like whatever non electric blue dempsey the electric blue was crossed with, be it the standard wild form, the gold, the black, the olive brown... so what exactly does a blue gene dempsey look like?
Your guess is as good as mine...
DSCF3763-1.jpg
I can't even say these "look like" BGJDs, but I know they "are" BGJD because they're from my male pictured above, crossed with a wild type female.

GreenTerror7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2011
So cal/ LAX
These were the best images I could get after waking them up from sleeping. The second picture is there mainly to show the red trim on the dorsal fin. Is this a characteristic of ebjds?

image.jpg

image.jpg

myster619

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2007
Sydney, Australia
It is possible to have EBJD that are very dark and show very little electric blue. If you see my video you will notice EBJD from the same batch but different shades of color. Genetics works mysteriously. Some will get more of the electric blue gene and some less.

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
I'll keep that in mind. Thanks. I was looking at underlying patterns with that darkness when I made my assessment. I do believe his is EB because of that almost hidden pattern (but still showing, esp the boxy rectangles stacked bricklike in the tail fin). Gonna go look at the pics he posted now and see the results of change of environ.
fingers crossed!

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
the red trim on the dorsal fin. Is this a characteristic of ebjds?
Red, Yellow, Orange, Scarlet... anywhere in between!
Bold or sometimes very faint... It is a characteristic of ALL DEMPSEYs, both male and somewhat surprisingly, the females too! I'm a sucker for bold scarlet! It takes a bunch of exceptionally high marks elsewhere on the fish before I settle for other than scarlet.
He's brightened up some from previous pics. Still betting lighter gravel will make him shine!

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
red trim on the dorsal fin. Is this a characteristic of ebjds?
Take a real close look at the dorsal on post #10... that almost clear trim used to be bright scarlet. After he stopped eating flake, the scarlet began to fade. I preferred him with the scarlet, but can't complain about the outcome as he matured.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store