Eheim 2217

raubiy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2015
♛ Slovenija ♛
you think is bad quality if is made in china ? Turn iphone around and read where is made :) it's the same thing.

apastuszak

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2010
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphack.com
you think is bad quality if is made in china ? Turn iphone around and read where is made :) it's the same thing.
No,

I think it's possible to get good quality products out of China. My concern was that the comments on the Internet about Eheim filters having issues with leaks, cracks, and general failures seem to coincide with the move to China for production. Your manufacturing is only as good as the quality controls you put in place and the deal you make with your manufacturer.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
That's a very honest response from eheim.

I agree about maintenance. Neglecting an eheim will cause problems the same as anything else. I clean my sunsuns monthly, clean the impellers and lube the orings every cleaning. No problems with them and they are "supposed" to be the epitome of Chinese junk lol.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
No problems with them and they are "supposed" to be the epitome of Chinese junk lol.
I remembered when I was a kid and Japanese made products were considered junk. How times have changed.

raubiy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2015
♛ Slovenija ♛
People only have leaks because they don't change oring's. My friend was cursing on his eheim filter. I asked him when is last time you change o ring. He replyed: around 4 years.... Are u kiding me lool. His floor was destroyed.
People just don't change replacement part's as often they should. Impeler, o-ring, hose, valve, those are part's that you need to have them at home. I'm always playing safe. It's good to sleep well. :)
And broken plastic.... Plastic only broke by force never alone.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Bottom line is any filter can fail. Maintaining them reduces those chances. Not much to fail though impellers on the top where it belongs...

Read some of harley k threads how long his eheim classics lasted. When i was getting back into the hobby i read the same about eheim BUT most of those stories werent about the classics it was the other models

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
To be honest, if you clean the oring and the seat for the oring on the canister, dry it off, and put an even light coat of silicone grease on it - it's not unreasonable for the oring to last several years, leak free.

But that you know takes like 3 minutes. Who's gonna do that

raubiy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2015
♛ Slovenija ♛
It's true. Eheim sell silicone spray and silicone grease. They recomend using them. It's writen on instruction manual.

apastuszak

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2010
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphack.com
Canister will not crack by itself. If you drop it or something its your fail. Eheim is defenetly number 1 on market
I just read 5 reviews from Amazon about the Sunsun Canister filter, where the canister just cracked straight down the side for no apparent reason. Th Sunsun obviously is not the Eheim, but it just goes to show that plastic is plastic. It can crack.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I just read 5 reviews from Amazon about the Sunsun Canister filter, where the canister just cracked straight down the side for no apparent reason. Th Sunsun obviously is not the Eheim, but it just goes to show that plastic is plastic. It can crack.
And I'm sure it does happen. But we don't know why it happened. For instance - There's dozens of reviews of canister filters on amazon where people put an empty dry canister under the tank, plug it in, it has no water in it, doesn't prime, and it's a "piece of junk" common sense isn't common.

The sunsuns are made of cheaper plastic. You have to take that into account and handle them accordingly. Who knows if it was just a manufacturing defect. Maybe the owner overloaded the baskets and jammed them in like a big dumb gorilla, maybe they went 11 months without cleaning it and the thing imploded under negative pressure.

Who knows. I take amazon reviews with a grain of salt. Most satisfied people don't feel the need to post a review. Usually it's angry dumb people who paid $50 for something and are upset it's not an fx6.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store